How to cover a hole in rear tub - side exit exhaust

During the rebuild of the 90 funds ran a bit tight and I couldn't afford to buy an exhaust system. Instead we cobbled some stainless pipe and lengths of flexi together and made a side exit that came through the side of the rear tub between the passenger door and the rear wheel.

It has no silencers so is deafening for the passenger and the flexi has now fallen apart (held together with a baked bean tin and jubilee clips) so I'd like to remake the exhaust properly and move the exit to the rear corner, behind the nearside wheel.

The problem is that there will be a 3 inch hole left in the side of the rear tub from the previous system. Does anyone have a cunning suggestion as to how to cover it up neatly? I thought of a painted plate behind and some rivets but it will still be noticeable.

Thank you,

Harry

I would have said the propper way to do it is to cut an ally circle of size slightly smaller than the hole to be filled and tig stitch weld it using something like those Eastwood panel welding clamps, then flap disk or sand it smooth and level

Using a bit of ally from an old panel

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OkFhfKcjbQQ

But never tried it myself plus not sure what tools you have to hand

I'd cut some ali slightly larger than the hole and stick it on behind with sika/tiger seal, then skim it with filler and paint. Done well you'd not know there was ever a hole and as the ali is only about 1mm thick anyway, the filler really will be just a skim.

Two options:

1) Make the edges ragged and turned in, burn it it a bit and call it shell damage?

2) more practical, use the bit you cut out for the new hole mounted on a backing plate to fill the old one, rivet bondo and paint Voila!

You need the aeroplane way to fix it. They do this fix day in, day out to fix holes from debris. First thing is make the hole round (you already have that part). Then place the same gauge ally behind the hole and scribe a line onto it. Then cut it out so it fits the hole perfectly. Then cut a disk of ally that is bigger and attach it to the inside face (they use an epoxy glue). Then fill out the depth with the bit you cut to fit the hole.

I'd use filler for the glue. Or drill three pop rivet holes through the circumference of the 3" hole so the rivet locks all three sheets together.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)

Sadly I dont have TIG so that is out of the question. Bonding a piece of ally behind and then the smaller disk inside sounds like a fairly invisible solution. Best of all I can spray the part before I glue it so wouldn't need to spray the whole side of the tub.

If all else fails then Mo's cunning solution should do the trick...I think I'l borrow a flower pot from my grandmother and zip tie it to the rock slider, covering the hole quite nicely. It's not dissimilar to JLR's current CO2 offset scheme!

Harry

• Like 1

You say you can't TIG weld.....I'm having some success with a Laser product from Machine Mart which is like solder for aluminium.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/aluminium-repair-starter-kit?da=1&TC=SRC-aluminium%20weld

You can use a blow torch to join aluminium. I've found it to be strong and effective.

Also available (cheaper) on EBay - search under HTS 2000.

You'll see videos about it on YouTube as well.