Defender bulb numbers ?

Hi there every one I'm wanting to change my bulbs to LED ones just undone my light units and of course I cant read the numbers can any one tell me please the bulb numbers for a 1990 110....standard dome light units

Front side lights

stop/tail lights

Indicators

fog light

reverse light

number plate

thanks guys

I just read guys that only the headlights have to be E marked side lights are ok ...seams to be all sorts written on this even found a write up by a VOSA inspector saying as long as same colour wattage as old ones OK ........MOT guy saying there ok and don't matter about the E mark and that there not allowed to dismantle any part of the car to check so have to pass them.

That don't make any sense that paper write up it says the post 1974 cars MUST be fitted with filament bulbs unless LED ones came as standard ...No mention of it being ok if the approval mark is on them ......that would mean the wipac LED light kits etc on paddocks etc are illegal ???? if fitted to a car that had filament bulbs as standard even tho they have the approval mark ????? ...........

Oh yes total agree on that but Paddocks and WIPAC selling illegal....as it says on paddocks page Series 2 and 3, Defender .......I don't know can trust anyone these days lol .....Its one of those complicated ones again .....could be the classic car mag write up has is slightly wrong or not the complete info on it as mmgemini says above ......

"A bulb is the glass part of a lamp !

You may change a light unit to LED but nothing else"

would be great to find out just what is correct ........But great info Peter

Try this then!

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 also known as Construction and Use Regs lay down the requirements as
Filament lamps

14. (1) Where a motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 or any trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985 is equipped with any lamp of a type that is required by any Schedule to these Regulations to be marked with an approval mark, no filament lamp other than a filament lamp referred to in the Designation of Approval Marks Regulations in–

(a)regulation 4 and Schedule 2, items 2 or 2A, 8, 20, 37 or 37A; or

(b)regulation 5 and Schedule 4, item 18,

shall be fitted to any such lamp.

It means filament lamps are required to carry an approval mark if fitted to the vehicle, LED's are not filament lamps and do not carry the required type approval marks so yes they are in contravention of the regulations if fitted. Could be an MOT fail if spotted by the tester.

Has this not been covered elsewhere? The fitment of an LED bulb to replace a standard filament type is not allowed, the paper article does say it is concerning the fitment of "LED bulbs". Standard lenses are type approved for use with standard filament bulbs, full replacement LED units as supplied by paddocks/Wipac etc are type approved as full LED units.

The LED headlight topic raised similar issues, I'm sure someone with vastly more knowledge than me in this subject will be along soon...

It probably has and I accept that all that I know is from several Practical Classics articles (I mess with classics as well as Landrovers). The regulations I quote actually don't talk about headlights, also, all I have done is quoted articles and regulations, others can draw their conclusions as to what is legal and not and what they wish to do to their vehicle is entirely their decision (and whether they tell their insurers or not).

I like the principle of LEDs, but for the moment as all my cars were fitted with filament lamps and at a recent classic show I was buying boxes of 12 bulbs (21W, 5W, 21/5W etc.) all at a £1 each (per box of 12), I really don't give damn (as they say) :-)

Cheers

Peter

I wouldn't give a damn either if the stupid lamps actually held a bulb successfully. But I got sick of the bulbs melting the plastic not just once but time and time again. Every manufacturer too.

Led lamps was the best upgrade although expensive.

pretty sure that fully sealed led lights [no replaceable led or bulb] is now legal to fit to older vehicles as a direct replacement part. & are 'E' or CE marked. & are covered under EU legislation to which the UK is a member.

[lots of older buses have retro fitted rear led lights [tail,brake,indicators]

You will not fail the MOT with led bulbs fitted.

The MOT is not concerned with the finer points of construction and use regulations, it's a basic test of roadworthiness.

There is no check for E marks or what type of bulb is fitted, if it works, it passes, the lamp could be full of gloworms, it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Front side lights are 12v-5w llb207

indicators, rear fog and reverse are 12v-21w llb382

Stoplamps are 12v-21/5w llb380

12v=12 volt

21w=21watt

5w=5watt

21/5w=twin filament, 21watt stop, 5watt tail light

llb=standard lucas prefix.

A "380"is a fairly generic bulb identifier as is a "382" etc.

Happy ?

• Like 1

Just to throw a curved ball... My 90 came with led tail lights and they're coming out. Not because of the possible legal issues but because they're useless. The difference between normal and brake light is minimal and following it I find it almost impossible to judge the point the brakes go on. To me that is out and out dangerous.