200 TDi Fuel Problem

OK, I may be in the wrong forum, because it is in a Series 3 109 and it hasn't got a turbo.

Engine has run fine for years, but two days ago it started losing power on hills, sort of pulling and then fading away. Seems to get worse as the engine warms up (it never gets very warm and none of the fuel system parts is anything more than slightly warm).

Suspected fuel starvation, so changed fuel filter. No change.

Next changed the lift pump. Still no change, if anything worse

This afternoon connected lift pump to a jerrycan of diesel to eliminate an air leak. Again worse if anything.

The only parts of the original fuel system are now the two pipes from lift pump to filter and filter to injector pump (which I will change tomorrow) and, of course, the injector pump. Anyone know of an injector pump fault that does this?

On the Fuel Injector Pump - connection from the fuel filter is a banjo fitting, undo this and on the inside of the banjo is a micro-mesh filter, check that this is clear, if its blocked with gunk clean it in diesel and compressed air

Tried that, no change. It is now so bad that engine only just idles. I've checked the fuel supply at the injector pump inlet and it is good and the flow out of the return is also good.

I am guessing it will be a very expensive injector pump overhaul.

In the end it proved to be the stop solenoid, at least that is the only thing that has now changed and it seems OK.

I did at one point change the lift pump for a nice shiny new one in a box with Sh*tpart on the outside; this came with an interesting little packet of bits including a spacer. With the spacer between the pump and the engine the operating lever didn't seem to touch the cam, the manual operating lever worked fine, but the pump didn't work when the engine was turning. Fitting the pump without the spacer had the opposite effect in that the operating aren was so compressed that it didn't pump and the manual lever didn't work either. With the pump off the engine it worked fine on either. Not sure which engine it is intended for, but obviously not a 200 Tdi.

Put the old pump back on and all is sweetness and light with an adequate supply of diesel.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

• 1 month later...

I am a Landy loving OAP who has had her old 1990 110 county 2.5 turbo diesel model owned & correctly serviced from new. 2011/12 she had new fuel lift pump fuel injection pump overhaul new diaphragm new fuel tank all sorts in Cumbria. Moved back down South end of 2012 she had her 2013 mot & full service done at Landy dealership was running superbly until 2014 mot.

I was recommended to a local diesel plant garage on 02/12/14 for a full service & mot which she passed only needing a new exhaust. It's been hell ever since he brought her back and it took forever on glow plugs to start her I'd paid not short of £1,000.00,

he took her and when she came back she was as an OAP now I can only say pausing - loosing power then without warning accellerating forward like a gremlin putting foot on accellerater.

Each time fuel tank was running on vapour from 'test driving her' so 2.5 tankful a of fuel later having been taken to Pompey fuel injection place the garage guy goes on holiday the last time he brings her back in March telling me any problems run her down to Pompey.

I had a job getting her up a slight incline losing power then I lost all gauges so someone else quickly looked and fitted a new alternator found the fuel lines to the fuel tank were lose said to try her.

Worse from cold she is intermittently still losing power and surging and yesterday all the gauges, indicators went,

I got home running hot and refilled a nearly empty radiator put the key in ignition and gauges etc came back on. Anyone have any idea what's wrong,

I have a huge bill from this diesel guy with problems I never had before the mot for changing fuel lift pump refurbishing fuel injection pump odd thing is there was some 800+ extra miles on odometer from mot ? I'm vulnerable to being ripped off & feel it's something stupid she had not done 9000 miles since 2010 I feel I have been taken for an expensive ride.