Headlights with sidelights in

Righty then. I've got a set of the wipac headlights with provision built in for sidelights. Never made use of them before, but I've come up with a cunning plan for some stealth strobes to be used strictly off road when attending various marshaling 'incidents' at comp safaris.

So I found out what flavour of LED bulbs I needed, and bought a pair off eBay. They turned up today so I thought I'd grab 5 minutes after little 'un's bath / bottle / bed routine to fit them in the headlights. Anyone else managed to get bulbs in there? Just about the most inaccessible stupidly fiddly impossible little space ever. After about 15 minutes of hooked finger, knuckle skin removing swearing I gave up and used a little pry bar to lever the whole bulb holder out of it's hole in the lense. This promptly broke the lip off the holder. Grrrrrrr. So bulb is now in, much superglue has been applied, and it's drying in the vice.

Any tips before I make a complete ar$e of the other one?

My headlights have 'pilot' lights, they are meant to be fitted with headlight unit off the vehicle or at the very least out of the headlight supporting bowl, can all be done from the front of the vehicle without getting injured.