Seat belts in the back of a van?

Ok so i have a 90 Van, the guy that owned it before me was a land scape gardener and had the bench seats removed and the the back boarded out then proffessionaly coated with a heavy duty waterproof rubberized skin through out the back!?!....

My question is as there are NO seats and seat belts fitted, can i carry people in the back legaly or is this a no, no?

Ok, so the question is if the back is completey boarded out, can the bench seats and belts still be fitted, or does it require removal of the boarding from the bench top at least???

If it can be done with boards intact how much of a job is it to fit them???

I am far from an expert, but if you are looking to add inward facing seats to the bench tops, the boarding will just add more height to the overall setup, as the seats bolt through the bench tops. You will, I understand, need to look at who you are planning to put in the back as inward facing seats are (a) not very safe in a crash, as everything squishes forwards and (b) insurers are not overly happy with this setup (presumably for the same reason)

I recently fitted some forward facing, folding seats and belts that I bought from fleabay and they are a great option as they fold out the way onto the benches for everyday storage. Again, as they fold forward and out, you need to think about who you are putting in them. I say this as I have a little person and they are not safe in such seats.

Hope this helps a little...

• Like 1

Not all vehicles with side facing bench seats had seatbelts (lap type) when new, so seats fitted passengers can be carried but there are age & height limits, lap belts are not the preferred type, No seats fitted = no passengers of any age.

• Like 1