Removing Contact glue? any tips

so once I peeled off the cream coloured pseudo leather off my dashboard I was pleasantly surprised to find a happy Land Rover vinyl dash underneath that looked fine except for its delightful coating of contact glue :angry2:

so I tried acetone, which seems to take the solvent out of the glue so you can rub it off with your fingers (and get sore fingers)

tried alcohol (on the glue), just made sticky snot

tried silicone remover = sticky snot....

does anyone out there have a wonder cure? something that works?

rgds

Heiko

Grab a plastic pot scour from your bride, (or just sneak one out of the kitchen - this unfortunately indicates that you know where they are kept which can run to being roped into washing dishes) dip it in acetate and scrub - yes, the glue turns to snot but there isn't an easy way, nothing, even petrol will completely dissolve contact adhesive and if it did it would act as a very efficient paint stripper

petrol, oh no!! can't use that!! my V8 might smell like petrol then....haha she does already!! so no worries.... good tip will try

@boydie, don't worry mate, should you ever get roped into doing some dishes immediately start dropping and breaking them and soon you will be "banished" from washing them again... or even better put them away in the wrong cupboard..... then you sorted for life.

always a good tip to be had off the forum, thanks guys

@boydie, don't worry mate, should you ever get roped into doing some dishes immediately start dropping and breaking them and soon you will be "banished" from washing them again... or even better put them away in the wrong cupboard..... then you sorted for life.

LIFE SKILLS.

• Like 1

A fine bunch of nare do wells you lot are, I managed to get banished from the female works office for life when she found the Disco cylinder head in the dishwasher, and I wouldn't dream of putting red socks in with the white towels, that's very arcane, but if you're desperate - like I was - put her woollen tops on HOT wash, that's a good life long fix ^_^

Its not always that way though.. I had this wooly hat which had kept me safe and warm up many of the worlds mountains, a bit old but very serviceable. ( Kind of how I think of myself )

My wife decided it needed a deep clean which resulted in a hat that would just stretch over a tennis ball.... so they aren’t all experts and they do need practice ;-)

Now I must say she was also unimpressed by my cleaning a pair of V8 heads in the dishwasher - she didn't bother about the TDi head recently cos I bravely waited 'til she went out.

As a mere female I am used to all these ploys and can smell them a mile away. Of course if you are involved with the said mechanics as I have been trained to be then they are quite normal and feasable.

Margaret (mrs gemini if you haven't guessed !!!!!)

• Like 1

I've shied away from the dishwasher after someone I knew ruined theirs - it had a white interior finish, which went grey ... :o

To be fair and in case anyone decides to have a go themselves, mine are always spotless *before* they go in the machine. Its just a final wash really.

I wouldnt take one off a 175K Discovery and put it straight in with the cups and plates ;-)

yes I have a little ultrasonic bath as well, I get variable results.

Its either superb or useless and I haven't worked out exactly why. I find its best with water and an alkaline wetter ( soap )

It came from a dental lab so the tank is only 10 x 6 x 6 but it will just take a cv joint and its good on injectors etc.