Engine Ticking after hill climbs

Good evening Gents,

My 1998 defender 300 TDi ( 367 000 km) has produced a curious ticking sound. I have been trying to diagnos this for the past 3 months to no avail. The ticking seems to come and go when it feels like it, and is more exagerated after climbing a long hill or when putting her under load for a while. The ticking seems to be insync with revs.

Ticking noise coming from drivers side

What i have come across, is that when i switch off and leave for a few minutes and then restart and drive it seems okay - untill she's put under load - then the irritating ticking noise come back.

Things i have done/checked, in no particular order.

New air filter

Engine flush - new oil/ filter. this seemed to have helped with no noise for 2 weeks. then it came back.

Checked fuel lines

Flushed intercooler

Replaced lift pump

Replaced glow plugs

Set tappets - twice

Dropped sump - checked big ends etc.

I'm at my wits end - any suggestions, help or advise would be greatly appreciated as i would love to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks Guys.

Checked for blowing head gasket..not that. I had that before. Blew out the back on # 4. Replaced and all well that side. It's a different sound to that.

Will check injectors and clamps this weekend.

Could be the lift pump failing. When they get weak it causes a lack of fuel which can make the internals of the injection pump start to knock, and as you are seeing this happen under load where fuel will be drawn in at a greater rate I would look there first.

Have you checked/changed your fuel filter recently?

Could be the lift pump failing. When they get weak it causes a lack of fuel which can make the internals of the injection pump start to knock, and as you are seeing this happen under load where fuel will be drawn in at a greater rate I would look there first.

Have you checked/changed your fuel filter recently?

Worried i have this on mine actually - mine ticks when off load - say if you give it light throttle when moving down a slope where it isn't under load. Will the ticking resolve it if is the FIP or is it damaged? And, how would you diagnose?

Probably a good moment to listen with a stethoscope (mug a doctor, or cobble one together)

Tried this on mine (i'm a vet, so no need to mug anyone :) ) its pretty hard to locate the ticking on mine because it only noticeably does it on the move!

Worried i have this on mine actually - mine ticks when off load - say if you give it light throttle when moving down a slope where it isn't under load. Will the ticking resolve it if is the FIP or is it damaged? And, how would you diagnose?

It's hard to diagnose, I only found out that it was my lift pump when I started losing power and it would no longer rev up. But leading up to this I had a sort of 'chicken brooding' noise when I stopped the engine which I presume was the suction of the injector pump. Then loss of power when reversing up hills, then total loss of power but it would tick over OK. I had noticed the ticking noise in the injection pump during this but I just presumed it was normal. Replaced the lift pump and everything went back to normal with no issues.

I also had the same ticking noise on my BMW 525tds (same engine as the P38) and after replacing the fuel tank pump and replacing the fuel filter it went away.

Thanks Guys...good points. Done the vet thingy :) ...took a nice flexible air hose with a bolt jammed into one end. works well, but still very difficult to pin point exact location.

Been taking note today, and i have had a loss in power. Revs don't get up as quick as they used to.

The lift pump is a couple of months old - didn't consider that (it's new so shouldn't be faulty) but it makes sense that if lift pump's not doing it's job to assist with fuel delivery to IP, then IP is working harder to get the fuel through.

Just did a quick check on the fuel filter bleed screw. Cracked it and although fuel did come through - so did alot of air bubbles <_< .

1. Does this mean that lift pump is working but sucking in air ?

2. Leak somewhere in the fuel line from tank to sedimentor to lift pump?

Great idea. Might look into that myself.

Bled fuel filter again...took it for a spin...seemed very responsive for a couple of km. Then back to no power and ticking.

So I guess I have to search for an air leak somewhere. :(

Quick update.. while priming lift pump - seems to build up pressue, then it gets "soft"

I heard a very faint wheezing whilts doing this so I assume that's where air is getting drawn into the system.

Will take pump off and seal, if that doesn't work then new lift pump....they not expensive.

Check also for failed gaskets between the head-face/exhaust-manifold, and manifold-to-turbo. When you put some serious heat into the manifold it tries to expand/distort, and if the nuts/bolts/studs clamping it to the face of the head are not 101% this can allow pulses of exhaust-gas to escape which will give a ticking sound until things cool off and the manifold cools/relaxes.

You mention a loss of power: this could be caused by exhaust-gas pressure escaping from a leak and so not being there to provide spool-pressure for the turbo.

Quick update. Seems to be running good at the moment. Checked lift pump. Seems to be pumping.

Replaced fuel lines from lift pump to filter to IP.

Double ckecked and tightened fuel line connection s on sedimentor and lift pump.

Setting tappets now - so holding thumbs all is cured.

Tanuki..after replacing the head gasket last year..I did checked manifold bolts last month. They did seem to have worked them selves loose, so re tightened them. I may need to replace that but will see how shw runs for now.

Forgot to nention...on startup this morning she ran blue smoke for a minute or two. ..valve stem seals ?

Being an old girl 367 000 km do you think running her on 20w 50 engine oil would be a good call. Currently on Dello 15w 40.

still could be the brake vacuum pump. its a sort of tappet tapping noise, 3-4 taps then maybe 1 random but rythmical as it were. Stick your vets hose on it and listen when it does it next time ( also does it more when hot). Also had a similar noise with semi blocked fuel filter, but this sort of sounded more like a knackered old Transit.

Also if the lift pump is a Delphi one, there is a screw on the top that allows access to a gauze filter inside , and this does get blocked with STUFF.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Shes running great at the moment. Yostumpy...you have a good point re brake pump.

My previous one was knackered...had to pull against my steering wheel while standing on the breaks. Managed to find a scrap one and interchangef the valves from that one to my old one. I may have to replace vac pump soon then. .may be on it's way out.

Thanks again to all