cutting side wing vents

My v8 does run a little hot. One option is to put the side wing vents in. My wings are orange so ideally I'd like to make the holes rather than spray up a wing with the holes already in.

Is this easy enough to do without making it look like a bodge ?

I don't know whether to get the standard vents HFH has list on his thread or put tart items on my wish list

http://www.kbxupgrades.co.uk/kbx-defender-sport-side-air-intakes.php

I didn't have the seal and the bonnet was set slightly high to permit heat to escape all round....

All can add to the cooling effect.

I found when driving normally I had no issues. When crawling on lanes etc. no issues. Stationary no issues....

I put the holes and extra cooling in just in case I was sitting in mud etc. and there was no air flow under the vehicle at all...

When it came to a 2nd gear low crawl up 7,000 feet of mountain tracks I had to stop several times to cool the engine. On reflection I think I may have gone too oversized on the radiator and too large a reservoir of water. Basically I had water storing heat (Energy) and the engine always making more but my capacity to dispel that energy was too low.... With a smaller capacity radiator, I would have been storing less hot water, less energy, and would have probably been able to maintain a bit more of a balance overall.....

It was a moderately tuned 4.6.. :)

Apart from that, every little helps to get hot air out of the engine bay....

more water cannot be worse, only better, the larger your radiator the more surface area you have and the more effective it is.

have you tried taping your downpipes and Y piece, I have found this saves a lot of heat that usually gets transmitted into the cab and onto gearbox etc.

I know the tape is going to end up a mess but it really takes a lot of heat away.

an oil cooler could also make a big difference.

Yes - not sure I follow the more water is worse argument = surely the bigger the radiator the quicker the heat gets 'radiated' No?

My first Landrover purchase (1990) a stage 1 V8 was scarred by it overheating on the M25 within about 5 minutes of collecting it (Friday evening traffic) Ive never got over it! = so when my latest V8 started boiling up in Hereford traffic I was having nasty flash backs.

Ive always wanted an oil cooler (for no sane reason!) - but what other options are there? (like cure the cause of the overheating)

yes the heat getting radiated is your goal though,

It is not the hot air radiated into your engine compartment that causes the engine to overheat but rather the inability of your radiator to get rid of the engines internal heat. the heat radiated into your engine compartment irritates because it makes you boil in the cab and get burnt legs where you touch the bodywork.

most common cause of overheating is a sticky thermostat, gummed up radiator or gummed up water galleries, or even faulty gauges that lies to you and your engine is in fact NOT overheating.

if in doubt pull your thermostat and test it without... if you overheating problem goes away then you know it was the thermostat.

There is only so much surface area you can create on a radiator. Mine filled the normal space at the front but was deeper and thus held more water. I doubt I managed to increase the surface area for cooling at the same rate as I increased the water volume.

Anyways... I don't own it any longer and have other things to devote my thinking time to... :)