LT 95 Overdrive Oil Leak

I am experiencing a small persistent oil leak from the Fairey overdrive on my LT95 box. Symptoms:

- When the box is cold, there is no leak

- Once up to driving temperature (therefore possibly connected to viscosity ?), there is a slight leak which appears to be coming from where the actuating rod enters the O/D casing

- Every time I change the overdrive in or out, a spray of droplets is emitted (covers the handbrake drum, the back of the 110, any trailer and presumably the windscreens of following vehicles)

- Rate of loss isn't massive - less than a pint from the T/box (O/D is splash lubed from this) every 3,000 miles

There doesn't seem to be any obvious way of effectively fitting any sort of seal to prevent this.

Has anybody experienced this ? Is there a solution that works ?

More widely, any ideas for a cure ?

Thanks

(Also posted on the Rangie forum as the LT95 is common on early Classics)

The O/d shares oil with the tfr case so there is no pressurising of the O/d (though it does have a space at the bottom that retains a store of oil. If I remember correctly (and it has been about 6 years since I looked at the O/D) I think there is an O ring on that shaft so it looks like it has failed - however the O/ds do leak a bit as evidenced by the oil drips on my drive - but then so does the tfr case.

Thanks to both.

Josh, I had considered tapping in a breather but came to the same conclusion as garrycol about it not being pressurised.

Garrycol, I'll see if I can refit an O ring to the shaft.

The overdrive is open to the transfer case so if there is pressurisation the tfr case will also being pressurised.

In filling the system with oil, you fill the overdrive first and then the tfr case. As the O/d is open to the tfr case you could fill both at one time through the O/D.

When the system is operating there are two scoops on either side of the O/d input drive housing which is inside the tfr case. As the oil splashes around in the transfer case some is caught by the O/d scoops ad flows into the overdrive through two holes either side of the input housing. If the overdrive gets too full the oil flows back out through the holes into the transfer case - as a result the overdrive is always topped up with oil which flows back and forth between the two.

The O/d cannot be pressurised by itself. As i mentioned the oil leak is most likely a failed oil seal on the gear selector shaft.

Some information

Overdrive%201_zps6s8hjhxt.jpg

Overdrive%202_zpspfzppvwh.jpg

Overdrive%204_zpsm7m1u2hb.jpg

Overdrive%203_zpsebzqkwkc.jpg