Not another alternator belt gone on 200tdi (defender not disco unit)

Hi All
It has been some time since my last post.
About 12 months ago my 200tdi snapped an alternator belt. I thought well its because I don't use the old girl enough and said belt probably came with a dreaded "blue logo"on the packaging.
So I replaced with a Dayco belt and all was OK.
Yesterday after less than 1000 miles driven (I know its a shameful waste) since last year the belt snapped again.
Fitted as per the book with correct difflection etc.
I wondered if the alternator is on the blink and seizes intermittently, this could be borne out by my twin charge monitor just showing a single led charge rate at below the one seen previously since fitting.
I have been toying with an alternator upgrade to give the two battery setup more umph perhaps this is the time.
Qustion is do all standard defender 200tdi have one alternator model or a range of units like the confusing power steering variants fitted?
Also has anyone else had a 200tdi with a taste for belts?
Cheers All n good to be back
J2J
PS. I was thinking about one of these but ditching the belt that comes with it in the photo for the obvious reasons
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defender-200Tdi-120a-Alternator-Upgrade-DA1195-/181627329539?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a49d51c03

mine did last year because the rear bearing had failed, a new alt bought through a local auto electrics supplier cured it, they couldn't repair the old alt so supplied me with a new matching 100amp unit.

maybe the bearings on yours have to much play & letting the shaft run of the straight & narrow.

• Like 1

My 200tdi (defender model) developed an appetite for alternator belts. It was a genuine Dayco I fitted after its restoration and it lasted about 1000miles so I swapped for another Dayco. Then a couple of hundred miles later it It lost a few of its teeth and I put this down to it slipping and jumping, which I put down to it not having enough tension (again).

Since then I have fitted a new alternator as the original was losing the will to charge, but soon after the belt looked loose when running....so out came the large pry bar and I put more tension in the belt and 1000 miles later with no issues. I don't know if the belts are stretching through time but I know my adjuster is almost at the full extent of its slip at its current position.

• Like 1

Mine was going through them line it's going out of fashion.. Belt dust everywhere and initially I thought it was corrosion on the pulleys rubbing the belt down, I cleaned the pulleys with emery paper & wire brushing but that made no difference. I had been running Dayco 11A1030C until I read somewhere that there are a couple of different width belts. Last week I fitted a Gates AVX10x1025 which is 1mm narrower and indeed sits better in the pulleys. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Mine was going through them line it's going out of fashion.. Belt dust everywhere and initially I thought it was corrosion on the pulleys rubbing the belt down, I cleaned the pulleys with emery paper & wire brushing but that made no difference. I had been running Dayco 11A1030C until I read somewhere that there are a couple of different width belts. Last week I fitted a Gates AVX10x1025 which is 1mm narrower and indeed sits better in the pulleys. Time will tell.

My first Dayco was a 10x1025(I kept the packet it came in) the newer ones are all 11x1030 and are what's listed for the engine...only 5mm longer and 1mm wider... but every little counts. I think I'll source one of the gates ones you refer to for the spares department.

Got an alternator where the stator shaft moves backwards and forwards by about 5mm (loose circle or something, will take it apart one day) BUT when the belt is on and tensioned, you cannot move it! Took an absolute age to work that one out (and about a dozen belts).

according to parts cat they came with two 45amp/65amp both with two options ( might be dif makes)

any new alt belt should be re tensioned within 50 miles . HTSH

all V belts should be section sized so as not to bottom out in V of pulley. eg dont run a 10 in an 11

• Like 1

Thanks Western good to hear from you. N's or 7's I gues N's

Do you know if its just one model alternator fitted on early 200tdi engines?

Cheers

J2J :)

Sorry 7 should be &, will amend the earlier post.

as above there were 45 or 65 amp alt's IIRC my original alt was a 45amp, cables need to be uprated to, between battery,starter & alternator.

should run a 11mm wide belt, Dayco or Gates were the factory fitted makes.

What's the part no for your 100a unit Ralph?

..with the belt section and length you could try an industrial belt supplier - such as Fenner or Hayley , I may try one next time as I've had variable life span with Dayco

and Gates

My alt is a 65a

cheers

Steveb

All the info about my 100amp Marreli alternator in http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=94032&hl=

Defender 200tdi Alternator belt is ------

Dayco 11A1025C [11mm wide x 1025mm long] but could be a bit longer as it's a real pain to fit = to LR part ETC7939.

or

Gates 6221MC AVX10 x 1025La Note this belt is 10mm wide & same length as the Dayco belt.

ta Ralph

odd that they spec two different widths really . A vee belt should be the same width as the top of the vee , if the bottom of the belt gets to the bottom of the pulley vee it

loses nearly all drive friction .

cheers

Steveb

Yeah, thought that was a bit weird too, got to obtain a spare belt at some time, my current one is a Dayco belt, as LR spec, not sure why Gates give a 10mm width for their version.

I may get a slightly longer belt because trying to get the Dayco over the water pump or alt pulley as the last fit before tensioning is a real pain, a longer belt would be easier & use up a bit more of the alt's adjuster link.

• 2 months later...

Just to update my little bit of input into this thread, I've now been running with the Gates 10mm belt for a few weeks now, and am racking up the miles as I've been using the 90 for daily commuting etc and the belt is fine, no wear or dust indicating that it has been rubbing adversely.. Not even had to tighten it up. Considering I'd gone through piles of 11mm belts, it seems to have solved the issue for me.

• Like 1

I just nipped up my belt on Monday as I'd noticed a slight screech when cold. Done a few hundred miles this week as the kids are on holiday (they like the defender better than the VXR...it turns more heads lol) and it seems to be ok.

When this goes I'm sticking the 10mm Gates one on to see if it helps