Not a good day.

Replaced the front UJ on my front prop on Saturday, no problem, rear UJ was good & both UJ's & the sliding section got a good greasing. drove 110 Sunday & Monday locally with no problems.

on the way to work this morning after 6 miles there was this big bang & some smaller banging from underneath. stopped OK under full control, jumped out to see the front prop on the road behind me & lots of oil.

as the prop departed from where it should be it clouted the oil pressure senders for gauge & warning light, so engine oil everywhere, a piece broken off the oil filter head, managed to retrieve the 2 senders from the road, with their elect terminals intact but bent, & the adaptor that screws into oil filter head bent. nearly 3 hours later we got transported home & this evening, I've removed the 2 yokes from transfer box & front axle.

removal of the oil filter head is a tomorrow job.

new prop & sender adaptor on order from my local LR parts man, the oil filter head is available but no way am I paying nearly 300quid for it.

this was the transfer box end of the prop yoke the cause of all the trouble --- seems to be a bit missing [which I found a bit later while waiting for the transporter. waste of time replacing the front UJ as it's now for the scrap bin along with the rest of that prop, no damage to axle or transferbox

:wacko::blink::angry2:

post-20-0-96543500-1430851795_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-33563000-1430851807_thumb.jpg

Wow ! I wonder what caused that to fail ?

A little topical for me as I've just replaced a UJ on the rear of mine. I had a bit of noise and play from it when I drove up to the lakes for a days laning.

At the end of the day it was falling to bits and the vibration was unbearable above 40 mph - so I removed the prop and went home in front wheel drive.

All swapped now - and hopefully nothing like that lurking round the corner.

Just glad it went downwards and not up as have heard some horror stories about them coming though seats and footwells and the likes....

Glad you are ok Ralph albeit hit in the pocket.

I only put 4 shots of grease in the sliding joint, got me wondering now if there was to much solid old grease in there, will split it tomorrow evening,

my oil filter adaptor/head is broken where the red ring is on this photo, I've got the broken piece, might ask the welders at station workshops if they can repair it & then recut the thread.

cheapest replacement I've found is £49.95 plus vat or one on ebay [used] for £85 which is a bit much for a used part IMHO.

although the same casting is used on all the 2.5 engines the oil cooler hose end fitting threads maybe different, so a 'new' one must come of a Defender 200tdi engine. not sure if any of the others will accept my oil cooler hoses.

post-20-0-80802600-1430856590_thumb.jpg

I've got an oil filter head your welcome to Ralph from my oil TD engine, i'm 99% sure the threads inside the housing are the same, are you able to measure them at all? I can check these on Thursday at work and let you know.... and plonk it in the post for you if we are onto a winner.

Thanks Dave, I'm going to remove the oil filter head this evening & take it to work, then I can find out with the help of the machine shop the thread sizes, I know the pressure switch thread is the same as TD engine as the adaptor is used on all the pre Tdi 4 cylinder engines.

will let you know the result :i-m_so_happy:

a quick look at parts book shows item 3 for the oil stat is the same on both engines, so reckon the threads must be common too.

Defender 200tdi oil stat housing item 3 ETC4022 http://lrcat.com/31/3/8433#31/4/53148

2.5 TD item 3 ETC4022 http://lrcat.com/#31/4/53113

but will confirm tomorrow

Ralph,

Wondering if that prop failed because of undue lateral pressure in the vice when knocking the UJ through....

Don't know what method you followed but if clamping the vice to close up the UJ cups put pressure on the yoke instead it may have aggravated a fracture that was already developing in there....

Just a thought.

Neil

Didn't use a vice, so no external pressure on any bit of the prop, I'm thinking that yoke had a hairline crack in it,

It did shake me a bit, but I stopped soon as I heard/felt it let go, luckily no other traffic around, so no damage to anything else.

Blimey! Good to know your unharmed!

My mate Paul had the exact same thing, although his attempted to get into the cab of the Disco and there was power enough to bulge the floor and put a split in it too! I felt guity as I replaced both UJ's two weeks earlier, albeit using his table top press and not mu vice and sockets as usual.

Thanks Guys for your best wishes, removed the filter head this evening & cleaned it up, actually just finished washing it, so a few pics of the damage,

the head with the broken off bit it's where the oil pressure warning light sender screws in.

the broken off bit I managed to find on the road while waiting for transporter to bring 110 home

the broken bit placed where it should be, up to station welding bay tomorrow & ask if the are able to weld it in place -- fingers crossed,

post-20-0-45821900-1430941096_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-18845400-1430941111_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-84650800-1430941123_thumb.jpg

I won't be doing it. haven't touched a welder of any description since 1974, I'll find out from the welders tomorrow, never know I might be bolting it back on tomorrow evening,

I found a new oil filter head gasket on the garage shelf too, so one less thing to buy.

Interesting failure, but glad you got away with it unscathed! I've also got a spare adaptor you're welcome to if you need it. - Mega impressed you managed to find all the bits! especially the wee bit of Alu from the casing!

Mav

• Like 1

Ralph. Without questioning your competence is it possible that one of the prop circlips wasn't fully home? .I only ask as I had a failure immediately after doing a uj a few years ago and one of the cups flew out as soon as i got up to speed. .. thankfully my damage was very limited. .. you weren't quite so lucky. .

just a thought that everyone could bear in mind. ..

Cup%20Close_zpsk1rsizfm.png

Ralph, In my humble opinion, this little fella had some pre-existing cracks, particularly on the lower half in the photo, shown by the dark areas which are probably discoloured because they have existed for some time (started to rust, or ingress of lubricant).

I agree with that, I did look at the yoke & broken bit & saw the dark areas, anyway the filter head is back in one piece, got to file part of the weld to smooth it down & clean up the pressure sender thread, also picking up the new prop & sender adaptor this evening, so rebuild is looming.