LT77 / R380 Gearbox Mounting

Hi,

I have a 1989 90 which has been well messed with in its past. I'm planning to replace the old, broken LT77 with an R380 Gearbox.

The (non-original) 300tdi engine will be moved forwards (around 135mm) for this to happen, two new engine mounts have been purchased ready for this work.

The (original) LT77 Gearbox has no mountings securing it to the chassis. The only mountings I can see are to the (original) LT230 Transfer Box to the rear.

I believe I will probably need to replace the existing round tubular Gearbox Crossmember due to a clash with the R380 - can someone confirm this?

Also, I have seen that the "R380 Crossmember" incorporates mounting brackets for the gearbox.

Do I need to secure the R380 Gearbox to the Crossmember or is it sufficient to use the existing setup where support is obtained via the LT230 mounts?

Depending on the answer, I will either need R380 mounts or will modify the existing Crossmember to clear the R380.

Many thanks in advance

LRmud

Mike,

Thanks for your reply although I'm not sure I understand what mounts you refer to.

From what you are saying, it implies you have R380 mounts which you have used on the LT77 gearbox.

I currently have two mounts on the LT230 to chassis but none on the LT77 Gearbox at all.

What I am trying to establish is if I actually need any gearbox mounts or if the LT230 mounts are sufficient.

there are no mounts for the main gearbox, these are suspended between engine & transfer box mounts,

Not true you will find that the passenger side mount is actually on the gearbox (aluminium 5th gear housing) though it looks like it's part of the lt230.

The rubber mount is bolted to a plate that in turn bolts to the gearbox it's this plate that will need to be bolted to the new gearbox. I've gone the other way so I know the plate will swap just not sure about the chassis side as mine is in an ibex made for an r380.

Mike

Ok. First of all I've got 2 of these "gearbox" cross members - a td5 type and a v8 tubular type. None of which has any kind of mounting for the gearbox. In fact, apart from adding a little stiffness to the chassis it's not immediately apparent what they even do because nothing bolts to them...

Secondly I've been out and had a look at mine. The gearbox/transfer box combo mounts to the chassis via the gearbox on the passenger side, and the transfer box on the drivers side.

The chassis mounts are welded directly onto the chassis. Nothing whatsoever to do with these cross members. The cross members are only referred to as gearbox cross members because they are underneath the gearbox. They're really nothing to do with the gearbox.

300tdi defender gearbox crossmember has one of the transmission mounts on it

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae356/andy_pandy_BOFA/ANR6836ANR3713.gif

And the chassis transmission mounts are only welded on later chassis, on earlier chassis mounts are bolt on. Not sure whether the change came with td5 or tdci eras

The cross member in the photo has both mounts on it as it's very similar to the fabricated one on my ibex.

Mike

i replaced my LT77 with a R380

110 2,5D NA which was converted to V8 efi early in its life.

with the R380 box came a long bell housing so my Bellhousing/gearbox length stayed the same, then it was a straight swop.

same gearbox mounts for both gearboxes (as mentioned in previous posts more of a transfer case mount than a gearbox mount.)

there are no mounts for the main gearbox, these are suspended between engine & transfer box mounts,

my apologies for the wrong steer,

here's my engine & gearboxes out while doing my chassis swap in late 2013, engine is a 200tdi.main gearbox a stumpy R380.

you can see the gearbox & transfer box rubber mounts

post-20-0-47451300-1430941698_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-66547200-1430941700_thumb.jpg