Broke a Turret - advice on it's replacement...

Hi,

My 110 developed a nasty clonking noise when going over bumps, with the nice weather I managed to get a chance to have a look at what was causing it - I was expecting possibly a loose shock top nut, a knackered shock bush, or at worst a broken spring, but this is what I found:

turret.jpg

The turret has cracked all the way round the welds at the top (doesn't look like the welds have penetrated well), and it looks like the metal has cracked in several places as well..

I'm unsure of what brand they are, they aren't galved but look too new to be original...

I've had the Britpart galved ones before and they've always needed some fettling to make them fit - but as they are £42 + postage, and the Gwyn Lewis HD ones are only £7 more, are they worth the few quid extra?

Thanks

Jon

Depending on which price is accurate (£47 on their non-functional webshop or £52 on ebay) it may be a tenner more, but it sounds like it'd be worth the extra - thanks..

Shocks look reasonably new - Delphi DeCarbon +2's with springs to match.. It doesn't appear to have seized or similar and punched the top out of the mount - it drooped OK when I jacked the chassis up far enough to dislocate the spring to check that wasn't the cause of the rattle...

When it went it was hitting a pothole or similar, nothing that would have come close to fully compressing the suspension.. I'm pretty sure it's just a poorly made turret!

I have a pair of the Paddocks galv ones, wish I'd known about Gwyn's one beforehand! The Paddock ones are quite thin plate where the shock mounts and as such the bushes never quite tighten properly and I have a persistent knocking.

Was going to just weld a washer into each one to bring the thickness up to spec but might go for those ones from Gwyn instead. Being open in design is always a good idea too, for fitting of shocks and for cleaning.