Wright off road matting

Well, spent today fitting the matting system I picked up from Jack (Diablo) on here on Friday night. It's not a quick job, but it's looking pretty good now. Some pics

CD969D56-3BDA-44E6-93C2-F1D87D2FFB9C_zps

8A21D43B-9ED5-4585-9840-A272FD262C3B_zps

94EF8708-D5A9-4A8B-A376-E09860D7C78F_zps

Only thing I think I've messed up is I've cut the 'lids' for the seat box storage too close to their actual size so they'll be a pain to get in and out.

Tomorrow I just need to finish off the bars that the RRC seat runners bolt to.

Looks nice :)

I found mine to be a little loose down the sides of the seat box. I remade the plastic seatbelt guides out of stainless and fitted rivnuts to the seat box, I pulled the mat tight when I tightened the bolts up and it seems to have improved it slightly

Mine doesn't have the two kick panels on the side of the footwell, I wonder if they are available separately

Looks nice :)

I found mine to be a little loose down the sides of the seat box. I remade the plastic seatbelt guides out of stainless and fitted rivnuts to the seat box, I pulled the mat tight when I tightened the bolts up and it seems to have improved it slightly

Mine doesn't have the two kick panels on the side of the footwell, I wonder if they are available separately

I always thought those kick panels were part of the kit Lewis. Unless it's a recent addition??

Looks good Rich, very smart. You need to smarten up the sill areas now though :)

Mo

I'm saving that pleasure for when I do the bulkhead and front doors Mo. :). Seriously, the jobs on this truck are never ending!!!!

Have to say. It looks very smart, but it hasn't done a lot for soundproofing over my old mats and carpet. (That's not really a complaint as it is a lot neater)

Interesting you say this, as I was quite disappointed really when I first drove mine after fitting the kit. I was expecting a night and day difference, and the almost car like sound levels people quote, but instead I couldn't really tell much difference

On a longer journey my partner commented that it was quieter in the car, and we could hold a conversation much easier.

I kinda put it down to having large mud terrains fitted and only one exhaust box, and just assumed that other people with more road biased cars were getting better value/results

I reckon the people that notice the "night and day" difference as you put it, mustn't have had much in the way of soundproofing to begin with. For example the 2-piece factory td5 soundproofing that covers footwells and panel behind fusebox. They probably had bare bulkhead/floor panels etc..

Interesting you say this, as I was quite disappointed really when I first drove mine after fitting the kit. I was expecting a night and day difference, and the almost car like sound levels people quote, but instead I couldn't really tell much difference

On a longer journey my partner commented that it was quieter in the car, and we could hold a conversation much easier.

I kinda put it down to having large mud terrains fitted and only one exhaust box, and just assumed that other people with more road biased cars were getting better value/results

Yes. I was hoping for night and day, but perhaps not quite expecting it! My bulkhead is lined on the outside with a dynamat type substance, bonnet is insulated - lined with bitumen roofing stuff on here metal and then lined with a fitted insulation, roof is lined with the sound deadening bitumen, then camping mat, then a recovered full LR headlining. The cab/seatbox has bitumen roofing strips stuck to the metal surfaces and previously had camping mat, carpet and rubber mats on top of that. The camping mat and carpet has been replaced by the WOR kit.

I run AT tyres and have a full stainless hi flow exhaust (with two silencers).

So, I had already done loads to quieten it down.

It's funny though, we went on the motorway yesterday day and my other half said it seemed quieter on there, so perhaps the matting has cut down the road noise. She said the same as yours Lewis in that we could talk without shouting!

I need to work my way back now. I plan to fit a series seatbox in the middle row and fit the old front seats to that then line the middle row floor and second seatbox with sound proofing there. The back is half done - seat boxes for the bench seats are lined, but the floor of the rear needs lining under the plastic load cover (it's a pain to take out as the seat belts bolt through it so I haven't done that yet)

Thanks for this, wanted to get these mats for a while now, but it's exxy with freight getting them to the other side of the world.

The only thing that concerns me, other than you blokes noticing not too much change in noise levels, is the build up of condensation underneath considerering how badly the Defender leaks.

At the moment it's easy to rip out an offending floor mat and let things dry.

With the one piece setup, that isn't quite as easy.......

Thanks for this, wanted to get these mats for a while now, but it's exxy with freight getting them to the other side of the world.

The only thing that concerns me, other than you blokes noticing not too much change in noise levels, is the build up of condensation underneath considerering how badly the Defender leaks.

At the moment it's easy to rip out an offending floor mat and let things dry.

With the one piece setup, that isn't quite as easy.......

They are pretty flexible. Whilst you couldnt take them out, you could certainly lift them up, wipe underneath and it would dry in no time if they were left propped up on a hot sunny day. They wont hold the water like my old carpets did so probably quicker to dry in a way.

Noise reduction - as i say, i had tried a lot already so they didnt make the biggest difference there.

I think i may try one of those engine blankets next, the lead sandwich things that slip down between the engine and the bulkhead.

They are pretty flexible. Whilst you couldnt take them out, you could certainly lift them up, wipe underneath and it would dry in no time if they were left propped up on a hot sunny day. They wont hold the water like my old carpets did so probably quicker to dry in a way.

Noise reduction - as i say, i had tried a lot already so they didnt make the biggest difference there.

I think i may try one of those engine blankets next, the lead sandwich things that slip down between the engine and the bulkhead.

A few blokes here have Dynamat'd the entire firewall, floor, roof, doors and that's made a big difference, but you'll never stop the wind noise, a Deefer is a shed on wheels !

Again, I'd be concerned about corrosion with the matting glued to panels. At least we don't salt roads here, even in the Alpine areas.

The Aussie $ is carp ATM compared to Sterling, the price is basically double and then freight, and if it only drops the interior noise by one or two dB.....

but it does look bloody good.

I've just had to take mine out to get to the gearbox and have left it out whilst waiting for the part (gear lever gate has disintegrated). My god its noisier in the cab without it! I've got some foam stuck to the panels but nothing else and the difference is amazing. Not sure how I drove it before!

Whilst its apart I am thinking of upgrading the foam to dynamat type stuff to make it super quiet....