front anti roll bar question

Hi, yesterday I fitted a front ARB to my defender 1990, 90.

All went well, I also had to fit the bolt on brackets to the axle as my axle didn't have the brackets on.

Now I loosely fitted and offered the Arb up to the chassis rail, marked , drilled and riv nutted ready to bolt the brackets to the chassis rail.

All is fine except on full right hand lock the drag link just comes into contact with the Arb ball joint at the nearside.

Has anyone carried out a similar mod ? that can offer advice, I am tempted to grind a few mm off the Arb where it is bolted to the ball joint fixing to provide clearance.

An ARB is essentially a long, thin torsion-bar spring: if you grind it it'll create a sress-raiser and make it likely to fail in short order.

(you wouldn't go grinding a bit off a coil-spring to sort out a clearance issue would you).

Are you sure the ARB is properly centred in the rubbers where it mounts to the body? Can you readjust the lock-stops to limit the steering travel?

Must admit, I don't like front ARBs; they promote understeer (which a LR is already amply provided with)

• Like 1