Puma ECU, how hard can it be?

So in a misguided moment sometime last year I bought a puma ECU. I bought it for no other reason than to take it apart to have a play and like many other projects it's been awaiting me extracting the digit.

I've had a look at the thread on defender2 where BAS extracted the data from the processor and had a play back in 2007 and I thought we could do similar here but with no business links we could just publish whatever we discover. http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic5632.html

To put things into context, I don't own a Puma and won't be able to afford one for many years so my only motivation is to gain knowledge.

Obviously sweet FA will happen till I'm able to extract the data so there is something to stare at, however it is likely that within the next month I will have access to a reader for the main chip and I should then be able to remove the chip and obtain a full data dump.

Why am I posting this here? I don't know, I have no real idea what data is contained in this ECU.

What does it store?

Anyone actually played with one using any of the Land Rover diagnostic tools?

What can you do and what are you 'not allowed' to do?

What would be nice to find out?

Anyway, enough rambling.

post-25689-0-63561700-1432747685_thumb.jpg

post-25689-0-18093900-1432747669_thumb.jpg

Maybe we'll find inside there's lots of tiny mice pulling levers and turning cogs :i-m_so_happy:

No such luck. Mind you - it MIGHT be a secret MS EDIS type install, and we can reverse engineer it so that we can use the ECU to run any common rail diesel engine!

Wouldn't that be nice.

• Like 2

i know a man who probably can, who is currently re writing the rule book on how to map TD5s & finding new limits, Unfortunatley he isnt on here

Not psidoc on the d2boysclub? He seems to be informing a lot of the vehicle tuners with his research.

That'll be him

Is it worth inviting him to join here? He was very helpful with a problem on my D2 and even took a look at the map for me via email (just to confirm if it had been modified or not)

Reading through the FB page now, interesting stuff.

The D2 forum you have to sign up for, bleh.

Yeah - bit of a pain

If Barry can do the same sort of thing for the Puma, then that would be great for many on here. All a bit beyond me though!

No such luck. Mind you - it MIGHT be a secret MS EDIS type install, and we can reverse engineer it so that we can use the ECU to run any common rail diesel engine!

It's not really a hardware problem, more of working out the complexities of all the stuff you need to do to run a modern diesel engine. If you can write the rules down, you can program a computer to do it. Most folks aren't up for sacrificing a couple of spare engines to R&D on a home project.

My primary goal at the moment is to retrieve the data from the ST10F276E Microcontroller/dsp that is responsible for running the show http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00105094.pdf or in other words the big square chip in the picture.

Keep in mind that I have an ECU, the corresponding 10AS unit and a key fob. These are all supposedly a matched set. I don't have a Puma or a Transit so blowing up engines is unlikely ;) .

.....If you can write the rules down, you can program a computer to do it. Most folks aren't up for sacrificing a couple of spare engines to R&D on a home project.

Perhaps this can turn into an exercise in writing down the rules?

Perhaps this can turn into an exercise in writing down the rules?

Whatever you can find out would be interesting, it's about time people started to have a tinker with electronics, it's not that scary...

Have a root around Hackaday.com and DangerousPrototypes for reverse-engineering tips, tools, and such like.

• Like 1

It's a combination of ignorance, lack of access to tools, and time. I'd love to have a go at this sort of thing, but I've never get the time. I'm struggling to get the workshop built, the guest bedroom skim plastered, and the damn bumble bee nest out of the light weight chassis!

G.

• 4 weeks later...

Contents of the chip available for download here https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6XKpDGw3BjifjR1OTREOFZTRmFaM29QT0N4SkxNMWZzTWZTS1lXNThLREd3NTVRNFg4UVE&usp=sharing fairly certain it'll make you request access from me but I'll add that quick enough, it's been working as a reasonable way to share the puma manuals.

Not really had a chance to look at it yet though. I'm wondering if there may be a flash chip on the other side of the board, will try and remove it from the case when I get a chance. But I'll probably play with this file for a while first.

EDIT: The datasheet for the CPU/DSP is http://www.st.com/web/en/resource/technical/document/datasheet/CD00105094.pdf