Windscreen without support

Greetings landrovites.

I currently have a soft top setup on my '83 110 and being a tall chap am irritated by the over door panels (end up hunching to see out the side and I don't even have my seat raiser in yet....

what experience do the experts out there have running the windscreen without any supports but its funny fitting with 3 bolts.

my 110 is mainly on the road, does very little off road work (sadly), does however regularly cruise along at 120kmh.

I am worried that my windscreen might break or crack without the support, any tips or ideas?

thanks

Heiko

I would say that it needs to be supported myself, otherwise it'll place a lot of strain on the frame and it's fixings. My suggestion would be to manufacture a new section to go over the doors, in such a way that it could be swapped over very quickly if you wanted to re fit the canvas

I modified a 109 station wagon for a customer recently, turned it into an open-top for summer.

The series screen was certainly sturdy enough with roof removed, I had made up some support stays to bridge screen top and B pillar, mainly to add Extra support for seat belt top anchorages. Should be easy enought to make up something similar to brace between screen top and roll bar or the forward hood stick depending which type you have.

As above, I have regularly taken the 90 to motorway speeds with no top support on the windscreen (this is with the early folding hinges) and it has been fine.

It wobbled a bit on bumpy roads and that made the rear view mirror unusable/me worry about strain on the bulkhead top-corners so I braced it.

There was an old 5-bar gate in the scrap pile so which donated a couple of lengths of tube 1 1/2" tube. I hammered the ends flat and rounded the ends then drilled/bolted them. They bolt to the top of the windscreen using the existing holes and also the top of the roll bar with M8 bolts. It's a bit of a bodge but doesn't look too bad and braces the windscreen quite nicely.

The other option is to get some sunglasses and take the windscreen off, you can't beat the feeling of flies/grit hitting your face at 60mph :)