Drop arm nut size is a dilemma what size socket ?

I am in the process of fitting a new steering box and have just come to fit the drop arm and realised I don't possess a socket large enough and don't have a clue what size to get ?

Searched the internet but all I get is its a nut and the part number NH614041.

Anyone got any idea what size it is and where in the Wigan, Warrington or St Helens area I can get one ?

Need to close the job off by Wednesday as I am back on shift Thursday and won't get the chance and the old girl is due back in the garage for her MOT re-test next Monday.

Any help much appreciated

Ian

Presume that's very firmly tight :hysterical:

Sadly its one tool I am missing (Stilson's) besides the correct socket for the job. I know how have I survived so long without a pair !

Tried the biggest spanner size I have 32mm and it's just a little too small. Suspect the nut is imperial anyway.

...Tried the biggest spanner size I have 32mm and it's just a little too small. Suspect the nut is imperial anyway.

NH614041

----NH -------- 6 --------------------------- 14 -----------------------------------------------04 -------------------------------1 ---------------.

Nut, Hex - UNF - Thread Dia in 1/16" (14/16th = 7/8") - length in 1/8" (4/8ths = 1/4") - Zinc Passivated finish.

From EP90.com

Spanner Jaw size = 1+ 5/16th AF (33.34mm, so '34' is the nearest practical metric size).

From http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/psc/spanner_jaw.html

OR http://www.etantdonnes.com/MACHINE/TABLES/wrenchSizes.html which appears to be just the sizing table.

Local Stockists - you need some local mates!!

Machine Mart search results for 'Socket 34mm'

Ebay Search results for 'Socket 34mm'

TORQUE VALUES (from the Workshop Manual).

NOTE: Torque wrenches should be regularly checked for accuracy to ensure that all fixings are tightened to the correct torque.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Nm

Ball joint nuts..............................................................................................40

Clamp bolt nuts........................................................................................... 9

Steering column bracket nuts.................................................................... 22

Steenng wheel nut..................................................................................... 43

Tie bar to mounting nut............................................................................. 110

Universal pint pinch bolt............................................................................ 25

PAS box

Adjuster locknut.................................................................................60

Drop arm nut.................................................................................... 176 = 130lbf/ft

Sector shaft cover to steering box..................................................... 75

Steering box to chassis.....................................................................81

Steering box fluid pipes 14mm thread............................................... 15

Steering box fluid pipes 16mm thread............................................... 20

Tie bar...............................................................................................81

PAS pump

High pressure fluid pipe.....................................................................20

Power steering pump mounting......................................................... 35

Pulley bolts, power steering pump.................................................... 10

Hose clamp........................................................................................3

Front mounting plate bolts..................................................................9

PAS reservoir

Hose clamp........................................................................................3

HTH

All I have to do now is find a local tool supplier.

Realised it was a tight one Torque setting is 179NM, everyone warned me it was difficult to get the old one off so ordered a new one.

If I do manage to get the old one off before I send my old box to the refurb. company (its an exchange) I may stick it on Ebay or just keep it for the future when spares get rare.

Very grateful for all the help, thanks again.

Yeah, a 33mm should fit it if the nut is a tad corroded (fancy that on a Land Rover?) but the 1+5/16" is a better fit. I used a nut splitter on mine to break the original nut and replaced it with a new S/S Nylock nut after, with a torque setting of 180NM -- just how you adjust to 179 is beyond my understanding :blush: - even my most accurate 3/4" torque wrench doesn't have that sort of graduations!

Yeah, a 33mm should fit it if the nut is a tad corroded (fancy that on a Land Rover?) but the 1+5/16" is a better fit. I used a nut splitter on mine to break the original nut and replaced it with a new S/S Nylock nut after, with a torque setting of 180NM -- just how you adjust to 179 is beyond my understanding :blush: - even my most accurate 3/4" torque wrench doesn't have that sort of graduations!

Probably A translation from an imperial measurement, although that works out at 132 ft/lb which is equally difficult to set.

The workshop manual often shows a range of acceptable torque for fastenings, along with a newton metre translation range resulting in some bizarre figures to work with.

Yes LRF, I'd guess that a 33mm would be a tight fit over a 1+5/16" nut, but, that said the right spanner is always the best option and I still stick by my original comment regarding 179nm - or 132ft/lb - why wouldn't you set your torque wrench at either 180 or 130 -- the difference is not worth bothering about especially as you would put a dab of Loctite on the thread as well.

Halfords sell 34mm 1/2" drive impact sockets reasonably priced if you are stuck. I know this as I needed one as I had a bit of play in my steering appear while away on a trip once and the complete opposite from everyone else had happened - the drop arm had worked loose!