200tdi rear main seal help

hi all I have a 1990 200tdi defender that leakes from the bell housing . I did the tappets yesterday and while giving it a real good run the clutch started to slip in 4th and 5th when pulling hard . I had a new clutch and recon box fitted 1000 miles or so ago so im assuming its oil on the clutch . if it is my rear main what are my options for changing it I dont have a drive or garage or the money to pay somebody to change it . am I better of droping the gearbox or removing the engine ? has anybody got any pics of themselves doing this job so I can get a better idea ?

Check your clutch pedal is adjusted correctly and the slave is returning properly. A collapsed hose or knackered seals can lead to a slow return thus a slipping clutch. But as you say you have a leak your probably right personally I would either slide the gearbox back enough to get in there if you can or drop it completely. Just remember you'll need as new friction plate if it's contaminated.

Mike

If you intend to do it as the workshop manual recommends by removing the flywheel housing from the block then taking the engine out is really the only way to go

You can change the rear crank seal without stripping the flywheel housing but I've had more success doing it as the manual says

Either way make sure you use a genuine crank seal or you'll be doing it again in a month or so

im going round the engine sorting all the usual leaks all the front end is done is it worth removing the back plate wile the box is out and is it just gaskets like the front ? if I remove the gearsticks will it go back or do I need to remove the seat box ?

If you don't keep the wading plug in then the oil should just drop out of the bottom. My gearbox is leaking, and I've had a leaky rear main, but neither have contaminated the clutch. Are you sure it's not just adjustment?