Newbie with defender 110

Well I've picked up my defender Friday and love it.

So I have water in the passenger foot well. The window seal it pretty cracked so I'm going. To start with that. Any other ideas?

It's got some serious off road tyres on it so I'm changing them because when I hit 50 to 60 on the motorway, 1, the noise is something else and 2, the vibrations are unreal. I'm thinking that this is because the wheels need balancing and the threads are just not ment for motorway. One thing that's bothering me it that one side of the front wheel has a rod attached to it , the otherwise doesn't. Looks like it's just connect one side? It's had an mot before I picked it up so I'm not sure what this about?

Also the snorkel has some blue pipes coming from it and then going into some sort of splitter and going all over the place. Any idea what this is?

Anyway I've put some picks up so any advice would be great. Thanks guys and gals

post-107772-0-16371800-1438032730_thumb.jpg

post-107772-0-30413900-1438032781_thumb.jpg

post-107772-0-43419600-1438032833_thumb.jpg

post-107772-0-98915100-1438032872_thumb.jpg

post-107772-0-20375500-1438032911_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the jungle Kevin ?

you should have a rod across and in front the front axle and one likewise behind, attached at both ends. Any other mounts are for lhd.

The blue pipes are remote Breather pipes for the axles, gearbox and transfer box.

Hope that helps

Mo

The swivel housings on a defender are identical for LHD or RHD, you just connect them up as required by the vehicle, consequently you aways get one empty hole. The steering is connecting from the bottom of the steering box to the nearside wheel in front of the axle, then the track rod connects to both swivel housings behind the axle. The front offside hole is therefore empty.

Water in the footwell could be from any number of places, you need to get someone with a hose pipe to spray it while you sit inside and try to locate it.

The plastic tubes coming together and going up the snorkle are the breathers for the gearboxes, they've been raised by a Previous Owner who possibly liked deep water wading.

On same note, time to go underneath. Same PO might have left the drain plugs in the timing case and the flywheel housing. If you get an oil leak and either is in, it's bad news. The first will ultimately kill the timing belt, the second the clutch - you don't want either failing. The timing case is the aluminium housing bolted to the front of the block, if you go underneath, right below the crank you should see an empty tapped hole. The flywheel housing is the aluminium housing the other end between engine and gearbox, again, should be an empty hole. They're pretty obvious when you see them.