Have I messed up ?

Not sure but after two days work think I may of messed up my lights

Ok I have 4 x 55W roof lights

1 30A relay per two lights

2 cables 2 lights per cable

1 x Red wire from each pair spot lights goes in each relay no 87

1 x Red wire per pair out of each relay to the 15A fuse bus box out from relay No 30

feed from the head lights main beam single wire chained from one relay to the next no 86 on relays

Ok Earth wire from each pair in to relays 85 a wire all so out of the same connector on each relay is then soldier together and joined to a single 8 amp earth wire this then goes to my dash to a toggle switch out of the switch to a earth on the bulk head ..

Is the 8amp earth wire heavy enough wire to the switch ???.

post-10229-0-59814300-1438461918_thumb.jpg

post-10229-0-99141100-1438461947_thumb.jpg

Ok Earth wire from each pair in to relays 85 a wire all so out of the same connector on each relay is then soldier together and joined to a single 8 amp earth wire this then goes to my dash to a toggle switch out of the switch to a earth on the bulk head ..

Just to be sure what you have done, the lamps are connected directly to earth and you are just switching the coil of the relay via your dash switch?

The way you have written it sounds (to me) like you are switching all of the earth current via your dash switch.

Yes the 4 roof lights earth wires goes to no 85 on relays so 2 x spots earth wire per relay

the earth goes in to the relay on a spade terminal on each spade terminal the earth goes in but I all so on the same spade terminal I have a earth coming out .....I have then taken each earth out wire from both relays and soldered them together and into a single 8 amp wire this goes of to my dash to a switch so I can turn them off .....wire in to switch .....wire out switch to bulkhead earth point

right i cant quite get my head around the way you've wired it but this is how i'd do it.

earth from each individual light to a know good earthing point, this could be the light bar itself, the chassis, the body, whatever. the earth doesn't go anywhere near the relay!

pin 30 to battery positive through a fuse rated to just above the total current peak draw of the lights.

pin 87 to positive terminal(s) on the lights

pin 85 to earth

pin 86 to +ve ignition feed. this is the wire you would add your switch to.

thats it. simples.

now ive seen your pic, doing it the way you have you might as well not have bothered with a relay.

all you need to do is move the switch to pin 86, leave a wire to earth on pin 87 and move the earths for the lights as close to the lights as you can.

Ok guys just checking is this how it should be ???? or at least would be ok ????

The wire named main beam wire being the high beam feed wire to the head light ........(what amp wire should this be)

and while I'm here is 8 amp wire ok to power the car stereo ?

post-10229-0-38240600-1438468000_thumb.jpg

Your plan b looks absolutely fine but there's no real need to run the earth wires all the way back to the battery, any metal part of the vehicle structure can be used as an earthing point, saves on wire and makes running cables a bit easier.

OK thats a massive relief amazing what a sleep can do lol.

Ok so the main wire from each pair is 17 amp twin core why it comes all the way back to the battery.

From each connection 30 on the relays to the battery via a fuse 17 amp wire PER pair

Ok from connections 86 on the relay what are chained together then on to the head light high beam wire..........What amp wire ?

And from pin 85's on the relay (chained together then on to the dash toggle switch...and then out to bulkhead earth ) Thats where I've used the 8 amp single wire ....this I hope is ok as was the dash and roof out to run it there....

and while I'm hear guys on that fused busbar the other wire is the power wire to my stereo..........what amp wire for that ?

So basicly with my roof lights I've the on/off switch on a earth no 85 rather than the main beam head light feed no 86 and thats all ok

All the wiring is in place as in had the front roof down and all the dash apart to run the wire to the switch so if it works and its SAFE I'm happy with it like that else it means the dash and roof all out again.

So what about the gauge wire as mentioned in my post above