Probably the worst day me and my 90

:(

"Bugger" sums up yesterday.

Was trying to sort the clutch out, tried new master didn't sort it, and was looking then to change the slave.

Lots of starting testing stopping etc.

The 90 has been doing odd things recently. The fuel guage has stopped working for no reason, then starts again,

windscreen wipers crack fuses now and then, engine just cuts outs, then restarts, looked and looked but not found any real reasons why...

Then yesterday cranked it and nope, won't start, cranked and cranked and then there was a loud "pop fizz" and smoke started pouring out of the

dash area....LOTS of smoke,.... all dash lights went out and cranking stopped..and smoke f loads of it ....

Hit the kill switch, .............but smoke continued. .........f eeek !

1 x Extingusher did F all,..........my old Halon did, and the 90 was saved.

It was a close thing.

It was pushed back into the garage in disgrace.

So, still don't know if clutch sorted :rofl:

no idea of the wiring damage or severity, but its loads.

So its going to be looked at today when I drag it back out and see whats what

Close call to close .

Reminder for those who don't ..............

have MORE than 1 extingusher............... and make sure they are BIG ones and easy access

when it goes wrong it goes wrong fast big time and it seconds

"Bugger" ....

Bludy LRs :(

Or keep your old ilegal Halon, yours must be as old as mine is as they stopped use twenty odd years ago! I was given two by my company when they had to remove them all.

Glad your vehicle was saved.

Parent type comment, the intermittent faults and fuse failiure was a warning!

Marc.

Sorry to hear that. Puts my simple MOT fail into perspective!

I made up a set of sill bars for a defender owner once - a fireman by trade - and his advice mirrored yours - Two extinguishers, always.

G.

I've had an extinguisher not work when needed. Turns out the cheap and popular dry powder type can pack down with the shaking of a vehicle and so becomes more useful as a paper weight! So good you had a spare. Makes me think it must be time to replace mine...

Hmmm

"Today I have mainly stripping my LandRover" .............. :blink:

The entire dash is out, and I then saw the problem. yes its finest 1980 LR bodgifications of wiring, the main wires PRE fuse box have chaffed against the bulkhead doing a big F short, followed by some wire meltings into others.

The good news is as I caught it super quick, and chilled it even quicker is fixable I think without major major work, just er major work.

Its also one of the wires that was the main feed to the ECU - cough - unfused - so a new EFI system is the order of the ...future.

So

Have stripped off all the old EFI Loom, which I wasn't happy with anyway, and stripped the dash out and snipped out some of the toasted coupling and spread wires about to see whats what.

Job one is the completely build a new MS loom, so may do a pic build as I have some ideas I want to try out, I am also going to use both an MS1 and also as I have been toying with the idea MS2 as well, and then run autotune, / set up etc etc and roling road to see what BHP / Torque I can get from each system. I am often told MS2 is so much better - well I am going to try each with some facts (facts and provable data is so unfair in a arguement eh :P ) and lets really see !

I have my order in for a Built MS2 + EDIS 8 and the game is on.

"Some work" doesn't sum it up, still have to see if the new Master and slave has fixed clutch issue - but for that I need a running engine !
hey ho and "Bugger" ...could have been far worse !

Loom off / bonnet off, engine loom off :

post-22-0-60755900-1440347408_thumb.jpg

all the "Extras" (ARB winch air freespools fans etc all OK, cut EFI out of the unit and removed

post-22-0-12302700-1440347435_thumb.jpg

some time later :

post-22-0-98727100-1440347482_thumb.jpg

This is a main from ignition switch / pre fuse box, this melted lots of other wires some badly some a bit, needs a load of time and repauiring and double checking :

post-22-0-58226200-1440347504_thumb.jpg

this was melted / stuck to loads of other wiring some also badly melted into one mess :

post-22-0-67280300-1440347555_thumb.jpg

possible culprit this is FACTORY - like a strip of meltal, folded over and sharp edges with some cloth tape wrapped around it ! up agsinst the steel bulkhead - no problem there eh ?

post-22-0-84748300-1440347581_thumb.jpg

Burn marks through the paint on the bulkhead :

post-22-0-75164900-1440347654_thumb.jpg

"Work in progress area" :

:rofkl:

post-22-0-64291900-1440347685_thumb.jpg

So, engine loom 1st ....more to come...

Crikey Nige, gutted, but from the looks of things could have been a LOT worse. Having just done the engine loom on the ambulance I was surprised to re-discover all the things LR DON'T bother fusing.

From what I can tell the biggest problem is the main loom feed from the starter post has no fuse, followed by the ignition live circuit (probably that white wire you found) which is just the un-fused 12v coming through the ignition switch.