110 Hardtop Van - Mud Terrain Tyres Advice

Hi all,

New user here, in fact, new to Defenders too! Bought my 110 Defender Hardtop Van as a daily driver/Project car to work on with my dad, real clean truck only 47k on the clock 2003/4 reg.

Im beginning to get into Green laning all around midlands/wales really. I have the standard "Avon Rangemaster" tyres and rims fitted which so far have got me through all the terrain I've driven thus far (albeit very tame and easy going lanes). However last weekend we had some good rain which made the lanes I've driven before quite muddy and I got stuck!

Im looking for some advice on upgrading my tyres. I would like to get some mud terrains, I like the typical BF muds, GT radials and Cooper ST muds but I don't like the hugely wide Tyres!

Im looking for medium width, Mud tread and no mods required to fit them. If they could fit my current rims too would be nice!

Anyone with 110 Hardtop Van running mud tyres in varies sizes? got any pics? please let me know what sizes you are running so I can see what they look like.

Thanks All!

Joel

post-108422-0-19095400-1440597458_thumb.jpg

Welcome! Always good to see another 110HT. The best derivative of them all!

255/85-16 is the way to go if you like function over form, or 285/75-16 if you prefer form over function...... ;)

Edit: I'm getting the popcorn in because tyre threads always produce lots of conflicting opinions..

Any good MT with a self cleaning type tread pattern will give a big improvement over AT etc . 235/85r16 will fit the standard rims as will 255/85 and that size will give a slight improvement in clearance under diffs . 285/75 will require different rims 265/75 will give a slightly wider tyre but fit without mod, but wont be as tall as a 235/85 or 255/85 .

I think you'll need new rims for 235 or above, standard rims will be 5.5" wide which is really only good for 7.50 width tyres.

I find the best option is 6.5" HD 'wolf' wheels, onto which one can fit either the 7.50 narrow tyres or wider ones such as 235.

BFG MT in 235/85/R16 on tubeless Wolf rims would be my bet :)

I've got to wade in! Having had similar thoughts myself, I tried fitting one of my 255/85 BFG Mud Terrains onto a standard 110 rim and it worked just fine (I do have wider rims but don't like the extra offset they come with, hence my experiment). The only downside is a little bit less steering lock. I know they recommend 7 inch rims but it's not mandatory. After all these years, I still think 255/85 is the perfect size for a Land Rover. It near enough equates to 33x10.5x16 in the other system. I've also seen 33x9.5x16 for a Silverstone, which might be even better for some but that wasn't an ideal road tyre.

Welcome, J.a.g_100. You've got a good looking rig, and you've certainly chosen the right forum for sound technical advice. However, I can't offer any advice on the subject of tyres, but I know you'll get a massive amount of it here. Best of luck, and enjoy your new toy.

Mike

Thanks for all your advice and warm welcomes!

I tell you what Im getting a headache with all these 235 255/85/7544545439549564598437598435984675 numbers ha, which size is middle of the range in terms of width?

Has anyone above got any pics of their rigs with said tyres fitted? maybe a side shot and a front or back shot to show tyre width...?

Thanks Again!!