Upol Raptor

RGK

I've used it a couple of times but sprayed it on. I've also got a couple of packs and the tint because I'm going to do the panels on the 90 when I get a chance.

I wouldn't try rolling it on though as it dries very quickly. You get a nice finish with the shutz gun.

I've rolled with a coarse grained roller to get some finish. Worked fine. Only had some issues with the u-pol letting go on several places, but i guess i should have cleaned / degreased the panels better.

• 6 months later...

Hi!
Thinking about spraying my 110 csv with U-Pol Raptor Bed Liner. Not really mutch luck with search in forum.
How mutch needed for a whole coat incl roof? Nowhere to find coverage in square meter or feet by liter.
Another question is how easy (or hard) is to clean from mud?
Experiences? Opinions? Advices? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok ive going for it....ive purchased upol raptor tintable.

Ive prepared the surfaces by:

Sanded with 80 grit

Etch bare metal

Applied epoxy primer by brush

Rubbed down with 180grit

And going to spray the upol raptor

My question is "how well does the rub down need to be prior to application of upol?" Will the upol raptor hide the imperfections that other paints (ie normal celly & thinners) would show?

Thanks, as I could save alot of time

Absolutely... It can leave quite a course surface but I like it, did mine 6 months ago.

To give an idea of the thickness, I used 6litres of upol and a litre of paint on my 90, and that didn't include the bonnet or the roof.

I mixed all six litres of Raptor,it's solvent and the paint in a bucket then poured it back into one bottle for spraying. Once it is mixed, it will start to go off. I had half a litre left at the end and hoped it might survive overnight in case I needed to touch up anything... Came back later and it was like a solid block of rubber.

Thanks Donald.

How thick is the paint when applied? Would it cover brush marks, scratches, etc?

Did yiu thin your paint? Im thinking of thinning it down to achieve a less course surface

• 2 years later...

Thank you to everyone for your replies.

I thought i would add a status update regarding the 'Upol Raptor' paint given its been on the truck for 2 years.

Application:

Due to limited space, the good wifey let me take over the garden/ yard to paint the following under a gazebo!

doors (front & back)

Wings

Bonnet

Roof

1. Generally everything was rubbed down and bare alu was hand painted with acid etch.

2. all surfaces rubbed down and cleaned

3. 2 pac primer applied by brush

4. rubbed down & cleaned

5. upol raptor sprayed on with 20% thinners, with black for the roof and satin grey for everything else

Pros:

Acid etch paints amazingly well by brush

Upol spray's ridiculously easily, considering I've never sprayed anything before.

The Upol tintable has maintained its colour strength.

Cons:

Don't hand brush 2 pac primer...far to thick, resulting in needless hours of sanding.

The doors required repairs prior which left large parts need to striped to the bare metal. Since painting there has been a few areas where the paint has separated from the alu. i can only assume i either (or both) hadn't applied enough acid etch or the surface had become contaminated & subsequently i hadn't cleaned is enough. My intention is next summer i will rub down these areas and repaint by hand. 

The black raptor paint for the roof isn't very 'black'

Principles for painting the remainder of the 90 was the same as above however a friend kindly let me use his garage...this made ALL the difference...heat, easy of access, cleaner and controlled environment, etc, etc

I haven't had a single issue with the painted areas that had been painted in the garage.

As mentioned above i thinned the upol raptor paint by 20% as i didn't want a rough finish. The thinned version hasn't diminished the durability. however my only criticism is that when mixing the upol base paint, plus hardener, plus thinners, plus colour must be mixed in separate containers rather than the upol mixing bottle supplied. 

The paint work has been scrapped in few places, but i'm not concerned as my theory of using the raptor paint is that the surface isnt glossy nor matt that repairing means painting an entire panel. My plan is to patch paint the scruffed areas summer 2019 by hand. I'll post the results then.

20171016_102303.jpg

20171016_102308.jpg

20171016_102328.jpg

20171016_102324.jpg

• 11 months later...

So nice to find this thread and to read the update.

I'm going to repaint my 88" with Raptor Liner within the coming weeks. Yesterday I did pickup the pigment for the color change (RAL 8014)

With winter starting to set in I'm wondering if the colder temperatures in an unheated garage would be a concern? I'm not talking freezing but painting in +5~7 degrees ?

Todd. 

Don't know why everyone is painting perfectly good land rovers with loadbed liner these days-  if you want a simple hard wearing paint just use polyeurethane enamel which comes mixed in the colour you want, can be applied with brush, roller or spray, is a ton cheaper and can be sanded down in the future. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, tuko said:

So nice to find this thread and to read the update.

I'm going to repaint my 88" with Raptor Liner within the coming weeks. Yesterday I did pickup the pigment for the color change (RAL 8014)

With winter starting to set in I'm wondering if the colder temperatures in an unheated garage would be a concern? I'm not talking freezing but painting in +5~7 degrees ?

Todd. 

That will be too low temps. You wouldn’t want to paint it below 15 degrees c. 

9 hours ago, Eightpot said:

Don't know why everyone is painting perfectly good land rovers with loadbed liner these days-  if you want a simple hard wearing paint just use polyeurethane enamel which comes mixed in the colour you want, can be applied with brush, roller or spray, is a ton cheaper and can be sanded down in the future. 

It may be polyeurethane based, but that’s like saying enamel paint is like 2 pack. 🙄

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Honestly, having seen one first hand for the first time recently, I was appalled, ruined an otherwise, if slightly orange, lovely truck.

Can't imagine it will be easy to get off either.

1 hour ago, smallfry said:

Cant agree more. To me, looks effing awful.

I don’t think it looks too bad...

large.83777AF9-0153-4D3E-871C-634A00BE6338.jpeg.1a2c20dc6d24087bea93090d72a371e4.jpeglarge.E2F6B99A-064C-4008-A311-D7A878220FBE.jpeg.8c4f467a9281bce301d571ba1f0c021c.jpeglarge.D9A76AA7-97F1-4F1A-91B2-533D654F42B4.jpeg.4528e42ac5583a1b445d2e2308257b55.jpeglarge.230D0640-B90C-497B-9078-E18693E7E00B.jpeg.cfe2c00980fdda64c7033b6a44f216d1.jpeglarge.94CA7B70-C971-45C6-A14E-83DA260EFB5D.jpeg.0c66ddce370c820d60f5786e0da53b5d.jpeg

On 11/2/2019 at 11:44 AM, SteveG said:

Not the best light, but again I think it looks ok...

large.229302F3-6B87-4537-97A6-90EDACD1B147.jpeg.847264c8e024e58580f6ed085f8032f3.jpeglarge.1A037E55-34D5-433D-9B20-2BBD64AC2897.jpeg.d76dc2d2ac4baddfdd34489e8ee0b4fa.jpeg

I agree, I don't think it looks bad at all, actually on my 39 year old series I want a textured look, but I do plan to thin it out 20% and use a gravity feed sprayer to give a less grainy look. 

11 minutes ago, tuko said:

I agree, I don't think it looks bad at all, actually on my 39 year old series I want a textured look, but I do plan to thin it out 20% and use a gravity feed sprayer to give a less grainy look. 

9 minutes ago, tuko said:

@SteveG

Thanks for the tips, I might be able to use a heated garage, if I time it right. 

Todd.

You should be ok with 10% thinners, that is what I have used. You’ll get a light texture if you use a primer tip, 1.8/2.0. Use a something like 1.4, and flat back the primer and you’ll get a completely smooth finish like any other top coat, albeit super hard. I tried some test pieces on some ally plate and you could hit it pretty hard with a hammer or screwdriver without damage. It will certainly take some off road abuse ok. 

I think for liners, upol recommends the Schultz gun to achieve the full textured finish as it gives better protection to shock impacts.

Remember that it contains isocyanates, so suit up, use gloves and an air fed mask, even when mixing up. 

cheers, Steve