200tdi Engine Vibrations

Hi Guys

Our 200tdi discovery conversion into a 2.5 petrol is on standard mounts and lt77 and doesn't seem to be very smooth when idling and when sitting in the cab.

So I have a few question so let me explain the situation:

Once my brother (Darth Dicky on here) finally hands the defender back over it is likely to need a new chassis. So am looking at a galv chassis to rebuild it on but I have a few questions first and may try a few thing before shelling out for the chassis.

Are 4 cylinder mounts different hardness for petrol and diesel?? Should I try 200tdi rubbers?? What things can I look at on the engine as it has had 2 different tdi's in so far and it runs well and pulls fine and can't remember if it was always like this or if I have just got used to cars, But i know my 200tdi disco was nice and smooth when I had that. Were 200tdi defender engine any different?

So if Discovery mounts are more damped than defender? (a friend has some on his lightweight and they work well) These would improve the smoothness of the engine. But would a chassis company do this for me or would I have to jig it up myself? as I am looking for an off the shelf solution rather than anything too custom and too much work involved and not enough time or skill on my part .

Alternatively could I mount it on 300tdi mounts on a 300tdi chassis, althought I guess the LT77 would be in the wrong place.

I want to stick with the 200tdi due to its simplicity and it is what I have and think it is a good unit. The LT77 can stay as it is a reconditioned unit not long ago so would be a shame to change it. If I eventually get bored of the power then maybe I would change the 200tdi turbo for a 300tdi manifold and hybrid turbo.

Any ideas welcome as I am just thinking out loud at the moment.

Thanks

Jon

As I recall disco mounts are a lot bigger/more damped than defender/series mounts.

I've a tdi200 in a series and the idle is 'king rough. I don't know how much is due to 40 year old gearbox mounts, and how much is the defender engine mounts not being up to the job.

Glencoyne engineering sell engine mountings that are alleged to be better - Snagger on here fitted them and reported some improvement, PM him for details.

If you are getting a new chassis you could ask the manufacturer to build it to your spec, but be really prescriptive, otherwise they may do what they think, not what you want. But remember that you can always fabricate an engine mount for the block that suits your chassis, if needs be, it's not rocket science, once it has a strong mount to the block, and is triangulated for strength, it doesn't matter.

Can you tell me more about the hybrid turbo? What's that all about?

G.

Jon, I've fitted the Glencoyne engine mounts. Probably like yours, my 200 used to vibrate alarmingly at tick over ! The Glencoyne mounts have cured this but they need a while to soften up and settle in. Mine merely vibrates now ? I'm going to fit them on the gearbox mounts too when I remember to do them.

HTH

Mo

Thanks Mo I will have a look into those, I assume they are just bolt on.

Dicky had said that yours was a nice quality rebuild which had been thought out well and was something to aim for.

I am in the process of trying to convince my girlfriend that the 90 kitted out properly and nicely rebuilt will be as useable and comfy as my VW T4 transporter.... So can the 200tdi be made that refined?

I found a lot vibration comes through the exhaust. The early ex' mounts allow little movement.

I spent a long time getting my system hung right, made a big improvement until I clouted the tailpipe greenlaning.

Ultimately I'm going to convert to the later all rubber mounts.

Another vote here for Glencoyne engineering engine mounts.

I have a 2.5TD engine in my 90 and when i found a split engine mount I changed them using standard ones and the resulting vibrations were horrible.

I pulled them out and fitted Glencoyne mounts and it was a significant improvement and I haven't looked back.

I'll fit Glencoyne on the gearbox mounts when I pull the engine out this winter.