Door trim repairs - lift handle doors

The front lift-handle type door trims in my early 110 have seen a good deal of abuse in previous ownership.

When I bought the truck the trim panels weren't fitted, and I did wonder if some of the damage had been caused in storage.

I know replacements are available, but at a rather eye watering price, and I believe they are not of great quality. I am considering ways to repair what I have. I am not expecting to achieve anything pristine, just tidy them up a bit, and prevent them falling to bits any further.

Most of the damage seems to be around the door lock area. Maybe some 'erbert tried to access the locks without knowing how, or having the tools to remove the trim, to deal with a jammed lock........or even steal the truck!

post-7124-0-53694700-1444131665_thumb.jpg post-7124-0-79190000-1444131681_thumb.jpg

post-7124-0-37459500-1444131687_thumb.jpg post-7124-0-55785000-1444131693_thumb.jpg

post-7124-0-10468700-1444131701_thumb.jpg post-7124-0-45445600-1444131707_thumb.jpg

post-7124-0-48704900-1444131713_thumb.jpg

Anyhow, these items are not constructed like the later push button trims. The backing is a fairly hard but thin material, possibly moulded, possibly compressed, and covered in a vinyl facing.

As tough as the backing is, the damage has caused it to crack in many places. To restore any of the rigidity it needs, I need to come up with a way to bond it back together. Then the vinyl facing can be glued back in place.

My only thought so far is to add a few layers of fibre glass mat and resin to the back.

Over to you guys for alternative suggestions please.

Interestingly my door cards (the same) are in excellent nick however the metal clips that are hot glued to the top edge have all fallen off and are not available as a spare part. I'm planning to get a few laser cut when I get the chance to flat pattern one.

Interestingly my door cards (the same) are in excellent nick however the metal clips that are hot glued to the top edge have all fallen off and are not available as a spare part. I'm planning to get a few laser cut when I get the chance to flat pattern one.

There is a (Frost?) vinyl repair kit available at not too steep a cost that may work on the plastic. As for the compressed cardboard (for want of a better description) you could try wire brushing it to make it porous the "painting it with glass fibre resin - works on the headlining, so may work on the door cards.

If they were mine I'd repair and make good with glass fibre using matting to rebuild and strengthen then recover the whole lot on new vinyl.

That could be something to do when I have learned more about trimming. I've no idea quite how you would work vinyl over the depth of profile involved. Obviously a stretchy material would be essential.

Also working the material into the embossing would take some care to make it look good.

I have restuck those those clips in the past on the 90 I used to own. They never stayed stuck for long, but I can't say the security of trim panel seemed any worse for not having them fitted.

As for the compressed cardboard (for want of a better description) you could try wire brushing it to make it porous the "painting it with glass fibre resin - works on the headlining, so may work on the door cards.

Indeed Geoff, the surface would need keying.

Strangely I have just found that SP Global Parts are selling these trim panels on the bay at a relatively agreeable price. Part numbers are MTC8706 and MTC8707. However looking at the enlarged picture the quality of the embossing looks absolutely shocking, so I won't be buying those, British made or not!

Craddocks are selling for even less, but the picture isn't good enough to see the quality. They say the items are non-genuine.

Paddocks have items they are referring to as OEM. Twice the price, but no picture :o

There can't be many companies making these low demand parts, so I should think there may be a few genuine items knocking around somewhere, then there will be some cheaper copies of questionable quality all made in the same place.

I shall source a fibre glass repair kit to reinforce the backing. Halfrauds have a kit for not too much.

I'll need to clamp the flat areas to a board first, otherwise I can see it will be easy to make a right carp job of it.