Shocks & Springs where is the market at?

Well after a two year break I'm back... The defender has sat in a dry warm storage unit during this break amongst some very special cars and only seeing the light of day every few weeks for a quick run around to splash some oil around.

It is lovely to have her back but as with anything mechanical especially a green oval product there are some bits to sort out.

First on the list are the springs and dampers which have gone shall we say soggy over the break, currently fitted is a set of +2 terafirma HD springs and shocks, I have been happy with them and as my truck is like me being on the heavy side (ARB bullbar winch etc) the HD units feel about right and she sits at the correct height when fully kitted.

I also have a pair of airlift bags fitted in the rear springs for when she is off on her travels and fully kitted.

So the question is do I just swap them like for like having not really had any issues with them or is there something better on the market now in the past couple of years?

Jason

Second vote for OME. I had some fitted on my old truck after fitting scorpion ones (which sagged in no time atall) the OME were just better. My dads D2 weighs more than the moon and tows a horse box/ caravan a lot and his OME are still good after about 6 years

Sorry I missed a bit of info from my original post they were fitted and abused for 5 years prior to the storage so I'm not disappointed with them as they have worked hard given the trailer and climates it has been.

Whilst I understand the quantity of the OME ones would they really last four times as long, which would justify the price.

Jason

Ralph would be a good one to ask.... not sure how long he has had his OME on for? But I think his recovery kit which lives in the back is about 500KG.

OME springs & dampers on on my 110 since mid 1996 IIRC, springs are still doing the job, dampers have been replaced by more OME, only due to wear & rusted casings.

I would go with TF springs again, I found them great. Only now running OME because I got them cheap.

I wouldn't run TF shocks again though, go OME.

Good to have you back Jason

G

Thanks Griff

OME springs & dampers on on my 110 since mid 1996 IIRC, springs are still doing the job, dampers have been replaced by more OME, only due to wear & rusted casings.

Thanks Ralph, that was my worry that things would rust out before I got my monies worth.

Bilstein gas dampers [the yellow ones, with an outline of the Nurburgring on them!] are truly the Mutt's Nuts as far as stability is concerned: having fitted a set to my 90TD5 I'm regularly cruising a good 10MPH faster than before even when towing our big Bateson 3.5-ton flatbed, without fear of tail-wagging-the-dog issues when the trailer follows the HGV ruts on motorways.

I really don't like suspension-lifts; if you're carrying extra weight fit stronger springs [or spring-assisters/load-levellers - there are really good reasons why LR fitted Boge Nivomats, and then went on to develop air suspension for Range-Rovers/Discoveries] but aim to retain the design ride-height (or maybe an inch or so less) in the name of overall centre-of-gravity stability.