TD5 motor vs Earlier diesel engines

Ive had 2000 L/R 110 with the TD5 motor in it, no complaints at all but how does this compare to the pre 1993 diesel engines they put in these cars as far as performance and dependability? Debating on selling my 2000 and buying an earlier model in order to import here to the US where I live now...

Anything pre-TDI is going to be gutless, and if your looking pre-93 that only gives you about a year or two of the 200tdi engined defenders to look at as they were introduced in 1990. Even those will be slower than a TD5, but not by too much.

Reliability wise the 200tdi is fine, some would probably argue better than the TD5.

It's a balancing act... The 200/300TDi lumps have the disadvantage of a cambelt: many of the 'cambelt service' kits are of questionable reliability (cheap bearings, poorly spot-welded belt retention flanges on the tensioner pulleys) - it's worryingly common for cambelt issues to appear a few thousand miles after a belt-service! Some TDi engines have crankcase-breathing issues and can end up self-destructing when they run on their own oil.

Some of the TDi lumps have also ruined the crankshafts when the pulley becomes loose (after a cambelt refit?) and it's mashed the keyway on the crank-nose (which also drives the oil-pump). The TD5's equivalent is having a crucial bolt fall out of the oil-pump. . .

TD5 oil-change interval is 12,000 miles compared with the 6000-mile for 200/300TDi - the downside to this is that the TD5 needs a more-expensive oil and has 2 filters whereas the 200/300 has 1 filter and runs on treacle so in terms of oil-cost-per-mile they're about the same.

TD5 has issues with the copper O-rings on the injectors which can ruin the (expensive) electric fuel-pump. 200/300TDi equivalents are failed lift-pumps and the injector-pump eating itself when the case-hardening fails.

Parts availability for 200TDi is getting poor; 300TDi bits are somewhat easier to get but don't expect to be able to walk into a LR dealer and get parts off the shelf for either. This is now becoming an issue for some TD5 parts too! (the crankshaft pulley/vibration-damper for example, is NLA and you're forced to go to Britpart).

Personally I prefer the TD5 - it's much freer-revving than the 200/300 which better suits my driving style. I'll put up with the TD5's somewhat-heavier-than-TDi fuel consumption for the sake of the better acceleration and higher cruising-speed I get in exchange.

Ultimately it is personal choice, but I too much prefer the free revving nature of the TD5.

My current TD5 has been very reliable and apart from a new rear section of the exhaust and a new battery hasn't needed anything apart from regular servicing.

My old 300tdi was only slightly less reliable...

Bear in mind that 200 & 300 TDi models will be older, however still good engines.

Like I said, I have a 2000 L/R 110 with the TD5 and I have had no complaints in the nearly 10 years Ive had it. Unfortunately I moved back to California and the car is still in Spain and really wanted to bring it here....but, due to the idiotic politics and bureaucracy here...I cant bring it. So I might sell it, look into buying one that I can bring here....so frustrating.

Thanks for the replies btw

I agree, When I was running my V8 in the USA the cost of fuel was so cheap it was silly. I imagine the price has probably gone down since then as well.

There are not many V8 Defenders, the factory standardised on the Tdi at some time around 1994, after that the V8 was only available as a special order.

One good thing about pretty much any V8 is that they will probably be lower mileage than a contemporary coal burner. It is worth a look on Ebay, both in the US and UK, reasonable V8s seem to pop up quite frequently, though beware, there are some really nasty ones offered as well

200tdi's are an incredibly hardy engine but if your used to a td5 you might get a bit of ear ache as they are quite a bit noisier... great engine, but parts are becoming increasingly harder to source and price is slowly going up too.