Exhaust Silencer has rusted again

Hi all,

The exhaust silencer section has rusted again and is now hanging by a thread.

In the past i would be down to the garage to get it fixed.

Given i have started servicing my defender myself now i figured i would change the broken exhaust. However, i haven't done this before.

It would be nice to a get a stainless system in time, but for now i will replace with steel.

Can anyone recommend where i go to get these parts? Is there any obvious gotchas when doing this kind of work?

Thanks

-----------------------------------------

Defender 1987 110 Ex MOD 2.5N/A

Thanks all for your help. The job was reasonably straight forward.

I got a tail pipe from my local Jayar's car parts.

In case anyone comes across this post and wants detail the item was PART NO: EXLR6016 and cost me £30+VAT.

I had never done this before and it took me around an hour without jacking the defender up. Could be quicker if i wasn't so fat and so cold!

Recommend lubricating(WD40 in my case) the nuts a good few hours before as they will be rusted. However mine were not hard to get off. Then a little grease around the thread when re-fitting.

In all 2 u bolts that hold the exhaust up to the chassis, wrap cable ties around when you undo and put the new one on. Makes it easier when alone.

Then there is 3 bolts(on mine anyway) that compress the tail pipe the mid section, there is what looked like an olive between the 2 sections and i used Fire Putty to get a good seal. This was £1.99 and will probably last years given how little i used.

Job done and another skill to add! :i-m_so_happy: