Best jack to lift the axle

I know this may be an odd question, but just throwing it out there to see what folks use to jack up a defender to change the wheel.

I have a bottle jack at the moment, but the jacking is a bit awkward and yo have to get it really under in the perfect spot, also the point at the top is just the round bit and I don't really like that. I have a hi-lift, but you have to go really high to get the wheel up.

Anyhow, was thinking of a short trolly jack, but any experience is welcome.

I had a short trolley jack but I had to put bricks under it to get it to lift the wheel high enough. Plus it had a large footprint that prevents easily placing axle stands. I also used a hi-lift in the early days but as you say it has to go to the length of the suspension to lift the wheel and it's cumbersome to use.

Now I use a bottle jack as above. It goes to the right height and has a small footprint. if I had the space though i'd use a large trolley jack under the diff for speed.

In what scenario? In the garage, at home, I use a 3T Clarke number (not the quick lift) which is large, stable, has a big 'pad' for good placement under the axle or diff. When out I've a Discovery jack, because I have a Discovery! It works well though, but the body is plastic and fragile as I found out by breaking the old one by accident. I also have one of those small bottle jacks like you describe, but it has a very small footprint and a tiny pad on top. Won't use it for lifting anything, but might use for other tasks.

I just bought (last week) the Merc Sprinter bottle jack - UKPounds 37 delivered to the Highlands (terra incognito for many vendors it seems so THANK YOU SCL Vaughan) and used it over the weekend to do some stuff - brilliant. Whacked the axle up no problems, curved top fits axle tube perfectly (and safely) and crucially the release valve is very controllable allowing gentle lowering. Fits perfectly behind the seat (riveted on the supplied holding clamp). Bargain (and built like a tank).

$(KGrHqN,!o0E9cz)Z3E7BPrS1ZeMQ!~~60_57.J

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but those Sprinter jacks are 26cm closed height (~10" in old money), according to the advert linked to.

If you have a puncture (flat tyre) while on a tarmac road, is there 10" clearance between the axle tube and the tarmac?

I don't have a Disco / Range Rover bottle jack to hand, but a similar rated Sealey (Yes, with the awkward button top) is about 8" fully closed.

If you are on a 'Green Lane' or similar, the distance between the axle tube and the upper face of your load spreader is likely to be considerably less than 10".

Regards.

I use when I have to, a Disco bottle jack, as pictured in an earlier post, safe and the right height if you have a flat to go under the axle, they are made for the LR axle so why not use one? These Disco jacks are pretty hard to find in good working order second hand, they are quite desirable apparently and can fetch fair money. Don't know what a new one costs.

Jack update, That sprinter jack is great, perfect for the axles, it's quite tall so you don't need to put a bit of wood under it if you don't want to.

Comes with a bar that is in three parts, a small 10mm/13mm spanner, a wheel wrench (not checked if it fits the wheel nuts, and a torx screwdriver.

Just check that it is flat across the bottom. My first wasn't and therefore it rocked a bit. Probably not an issue but I got it replaced with no fuss.

Also the wood thing was more about if it's short enough to get under with a flat, without needing to drive up onto a bit of wood?