td5 crew cab rear tub jobs

Dear all,

I am currently in the process of sorting out my chassis of my crew cab (cleaning, painting etc) and one thing has led to another and i decided to sort out the rear tub at the same time. I have just removed the tub floor, tophats, underfloor supports and finally the fuel tank. The back end now looks like this

post-81773-0-15785100-1462479136_thumb.jpeg

The rear body mounting has a fair bit of galvanic corrosion (red arrow) and I thought now would be a good time to replace using a YRM part. My question is, can i do this without taking the tub off? If so is it just a case of removing the torx bolts and drilling some spot welds out of each of the rear panels (i can see 3 or 4 of them). Looking at it i think it might be tight removing the support out. Also, will i need to sure up the rear tub with wooden planks across the chassis as Iam assuning that when i remove the rear support there will be nothing left to support the tub!

Any other jobs you would recommend whilst I have most of this out?

Cheers

Alex

I've done this job with the YRM part and I can say it was a very good fit. My tub was off at the time, post accident, but I'm afraid I cannot remember what was holding it all together, other than bolts in the tabs, and two triangular braces to the tub sides. Looking at the back of the tub there's no evidence of me drilling out welds and replacing with pop rivets, but it may be the old rail was already detached so I didn't realize there were supposed to be welds!

Thanks for the info ejparrot. I ve found previous YRM parts a pretty good fit in the past although the crew cab spec makes life interesting sometimes. There are definitely a few spot welds in the rear panel (you can just make out one in the bottom right of the photo above) in addition to the torx bolts. I would quite like to be able to remove this part without removing the tub, does anyone know if this is possible?

Cheers

Alex

Thinking out loud

I don't think you could. Chassis tabs are on the wrong side of it to slide it forwards, Wings restrict it coming out sideways, can't slide it forwards because of the floor bearers, except they're out in the photo. Maybe rotate it forward, slide it sideways...no, tabs wrong side. Is it TD5 with separate mounting rail?

Dunno...might have to lift the back of the body enough to slip it out

Thanks again ejparrot. I had a sinking feeling i might have to take the rear tub off. How about jacking up the rear end so i can slip the old one out and the new one in? Would i need to loosen off any other bolts to get enough movement? if so can you point me in the right direction as to which bolts to loosen please.

Thanks a million for all your advice.

Alex

Just thinking out loud ok? I *think* you'll be able to do it if you loose of the tub bolts and pick the back up an inch. I think...but I'd try and do it without first, you might be lucky, it might just fiddle out. Have a read of the thoughts I've written and fiddle with it

I've replaced the same piece on a Series and the quarter panels at the same time. That was with the tub off though so it's not quite what you want?. I have pics of the spot welds etc that needed drilling.

If you think it might help with your TD5 I can dig out the pics and post.

Well, Ive had a good look to see if i can squeeze the rear tub to cross-member mounting out without either lifting or removing the tub and i think ejparrot is right - its a no go. So, the inevitable next question is what bolts do i need to loosen in the crew cab so i can jack up the rear by 2 inches? I have already removed the rear tup floor, supports and tophats as well as the second row seat belt bolts and floor (for another job), are there any in the c-plillars or roof?

Peaklander - any photos would be a great help.

Cheers

Alex

I'm afraid I'm not that familiar with crew cabs to be able to answer that one.

Push comes to show, you might be able to remove the rear quarter panels, slide the old out and the new in, then refit the quarter panels. You've got no upper bodywork to worry about removing, unlike my station wagons

OK so here's a few that might help show what you are going to find. Don't forget this is a Series 3. I think they are self explanatory, just look carefully for the spot welds where the quarter panels have been removed.

post-105237-0-99505200-1462994856_thumb.jpg post-105237-0-86809700-1462994865_thumb.jpg post-105237-0-78842200-1462994884_thumb.jpg post-105237-0-99992300-1462994893_thumb.jpg post-105237-0-83166200-1462994902_thumb.jpg

post-105237-0-14658500-1462994914_thumb.jpg post-105237-0-64424600-1462994934_thumb.jpg post-105237-0-05761700-1462994944_thumb.jpg post-105237-0-40516700-1462994980_thumb.jpg post-105237-0-32127700-1462994989_thumb.jpg

I'll post a few assembly ones too.