200TDI push button start

Ok guys she been good for a while

BUT every now and then I turn the ignition key key and NOTHING happens at all......All the power is there but she dont turn over ....Rapid turn the key and then she starts this has been going on for well over a year now but as 99% of the time it starts so I've not done out about it ....Speaking to others who had this problem a push button start (Still using the key for power) seams to cure this.

Do I need a special button as I'm presuming a standard momentary 2 pole switch will do ?

Do I need a relay or not ?

Fussed or not ?

What gauge wire do I use ?

and of course what do I connect the switch to I presume one end to the trigger wire/spade end wire to the started motor the other end some where else on the ignition ? but what wire ?

Thanks there every one

Have you actually established it's the ignition switch that's at fault?

Because if you haven't you may be wasting your time fitting a button, which IMO is a bodge anyway.

Diagnose the fault properly and then repair it with decent quality parts.

I had similar for a couple of months with an intermittent fault before it failed to start completely, after swapping out the ignition switch for a Lucas item it still refused, the penny dropped when I stuck a test bulb between the spade connector on the starter solenoid and earth and it showed nothing when the key was held at crank, the starter relay was clicking so I'd assumed it was alright but the contacts were shot. a new relay sorted it.

A cheap and quick way to eliminate the starter relay....swap it round with one of the others. May just be worth a try good luck.

if you are looking for push buttons, I've used water proof ones for marine environments, you can find being sold in boat chandlers, cheap and robust.

Thanks Ralph

Yes found it by pulling them out and interestingly with it out its acting exactly the same as when I turn the key and nothing

For those interested its the green one on the end

Just in-case knowing my luck its not the relay The ignition switch is that a Pre TDI one a TD one????

(My landy a 1990 TD Converted to a 200tdi)

post-10229-0-78118700-1464532196_thumb.jpg

post-10229-0-33438100-1464532225_thumb.jpg

On the old ones it was the actual ignition barrels that gave out not the switch .........I brought the new relay YWB10032L relay today...If that dont work then will replace the switch .........It will start 10-20 times fine then get the odd time turn the key and power is there but thats all that happens no click nothing ......rapid turn the key back and forth some times just 3-4 times other's 20 times and she will start .........turn it off ...turn the key again and starts fine.

If the switches are Britpart, then it could be them. I had no end of trouble trying to adjust a Britpart brake light switch, which ended up in the bin, replaced by a genuine one, which was a doddle to set up.

Are thanks for that not ordered a switch yet as say trying the relay first and yes think they were ****Part .....will use Lucus or Bearmach .......But I know exactly what you mean as I had big trouble blowing main beam dip switches I think it was three I had in less than 18 month ......changed to a Lucus one ended the problem years later all still fine.

my 110 is a ex TD with a defender spec 200tdi, Still use the original ignition switch which works fine, there's a post for the wiring connections on the back, the thick red/brown is removed as it was the glowplug power feed, replaced by the Tdi's glowplug timer unit & assocoated wiring.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=9354&hl=

One thing I have noticed is that switch of mine does NOT have the raised sliding bar on one side the screw goes in to.....mines just round with a screw hole each side (I could be imagining that )...........so hope a Lucus one with the bar will fit (If I need it but its going to be the relay fingers crossed)

For what it's worth, my 109 still has its original (2.25p) ignition switch, despite running a Tdi since 2008 and a 12J before that since 1994. That is without a relay between the switch and starter solenoid. I still think you need to investigate the wiring between switch and relay to see if there is a short.

• 2 weeks later...