Exhaust temperature gauge

Can anyone recommend a type and supplier for an ETG? Looking to fit one before further investigation into my fuel pump set up. I do not have room to mount it in the panel below the radio as I have other things there so a stand alone unit is needed rather than a panel mount, unless of course I change the dash!

in my opinion you only need this while you set things up - after a while you never look at it.

So I fitted the thermocouple carefully and ran it through to the dash area but just plug in the gauge from time to time, tie wrap it to the dash somewhere short term then stick it in the cubby most of the time.

HTH

From various accounts on the forum over a number of years it appears that 300Tdi engines vary considerably. My engine, for example, will continue raising the EGT well above the 725 Deg C limit if I keep in too high a gear going up hill, although the boost pressure will still be up. Other reports indicate that the EGT never gets anywhere near 725 Deg C. Since the EGT gauge is critical in my situation I have relocated the fuel gauge to a Mudstuff auxiliary dash and put the 52mm VDO EGT gauge dead centre. After all, you don't normally need to look at your fuel gauge more than every couple of hours and your EGT can rocket in less than a minute.

My gauge is a straight forward indicator, and I chose it because it matches the other LR gauges. However, electronic, multi-function models are available, where alarms can be set and which have memory functions. One of these may be more appropriate for your purposes.

Mike

The location of the thermocouple probe is critical, most (on a 300Tdi) have been or are fitted into the EGR valve plate just on the exhaust side of the turbo, this position will read up to 50*C higher than at the turbo - even for that short distance!

The ideal location is to drill the manifold and locate the probe on the C/L of the turbo shaft and about 5mm off the shaft -- this will give you an accurate turbo vane temperature, this position is problematical however due to the close position of the alternator, some thermocouples will fit, others will not.

Garratt state quite often in all their literature that temperatures in excess of 750*C for prolonged periods of more than 5 minutes can seriously distort the shape of the exhaust vanes rendering the turbo ineffective and also it can cause the edges of the blow off plate/valve to erode away causing leakage and preventing the maximum turbo pressure of 14,7 psi from being achieved due to exhaust gas bypass, that being the case it can be assumed that reports of temperatures in excess of 750*C are or have been measured on the exhaust side of the turbo manifold and are higher than at the actual turbo or the gauge isn't accurate.

I hope that this helps or confuses you even further :o

• Like 1

BTW, from a previous thread you may be aware that I blanked off the standard blow off valve and fitted a remote aftermarket adjustable valve that recycles the blow off compressed air back to the intercooler inlet, complicated but "fun" at the time :blush:

Since then, and as part of this "conversion" my thermocouple was relocated on the C/L of the turbo (as I've described) and screwed into the boss at the left (front) of the exhaust manifold.

I've had the thermocouple and gauge tested and they are accurate to +/- 5*C and even under extreme acceleration at 15 psi up a steep gradient on a stinking hot Australian summers day of over 40*C ambient I've never had turbo temperatures in excess of 580*C.

• Like 1

GW8IZR I think that is an idea as it is just for setting up. Can you give me any suppliers etc please ?

Muddy, cheers for the recommendation

Its amazing that any 300 TDI's survive without an EGT gauge! But more seriously it is interesting information if you have adjusted things or dont know if someone else has previously. So I used an industrial K type themocouple which I bought from either Farnel or possibly RS - it was about 10 quid I think. The thing with K type thermocouples is that despite claims to the contrary its pretty hard to find an inaccurate one.

I bought a cheap LED EGT gauge from ebay but checked it against my Agilent data logger that costs about 10K UKP - remarkably the 50 quid ebay meter read the same - which was what I expected.

Even if you have no test gear you can check your gauge at freezing point and 100c with water and if its right there its most likely linear enough to be ok for what you are trying to do.

I'm assuming you are going to stick to a sensible margin of safety and not try to adjust everything to max power? When I adjusted mine carefully and set for 14/15 psi boost and a bit of black smoke at full throttle the temp was about 600c on a big long full throttle motorway climb. Vehicle is nice and lively, returns about 30mpg and tinkles through the MOT every year which is what I want. Most of the time the temperature is *much* less than that and thus its not worth me watching the gauge every 30 seconds for fear of disaster! If your that worried just lift that right foot a bit :-)

HTH

Gents

Thank you all for your input. I will go and shake the piggy bank just now and see about getting something sorted.

GW8IZER you are correct in thinking I want a set up with a margin of safety rather than max power. Don't get me wrong, any increase will be welcome! After finding the pump has been disturbed, and having a turbo fail last year, I would like to measure what is going on with the present set up. It must be said it was a bearing failure rather than the vanes, but another new turbo is a cost I can do without.

It has always passed the MOT despite my perception of excessive smoke. I just know it should be better than it is.

After a lot of reading (a lot) and reviewing various stuff, I chose the Auber Instruments SYL-2813 dual channel digital autometer. Here. I chose them because they have an excellent reputation as far as I could establish. Also as I'm interested in keeping my vehicle until I croak I figured knowing whats going on with it is pretty important so I was prepared to spend a few £ more on a decent device.

2813a.jpg

I chose the dual channel one simply because it wasn't hugely more expensive than a single one. I figured I could use the other channel for something else, and I did. The EGT is on one channel and I added a separate probe on the engine out coolant flow (I already have a gauge on the engine in side).

Works a treat, company were very good to deal with and the order arrived promptly via UPS. It is very accurate and temp readings change instantly to reflect whats going on. It has alarm circuits too which can trigger a fan for example or an audible buzzer alert.

(Only downside - the instructions are really confusing! )

That looks a nice piece of kit!

And pretty reasonably priced too.

Yes - that was why I went with it. Some top reviews of it on the USA boards and the range of stuff they supply is extensive. The probes are well-made in stainless, sheathed cable too in stainless braid, with sprung steel strengthening around the probe. Staff very helpful with my interpreting instructions too so cant fault them.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update.

After shaking the piggy bank, I decided a budget option had to be the order of the day.

A search found this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sensors-Gauge-Exhaust-Temperature-Celcius/dp/B014RJ0A9A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471814604&sr=8-2&keywords=EGT+gauge

Fitted and working well. Max chat showing a temperature of 770 deg C, so a little tweaking required.

Boost gauge next.