Shims

little bit of advice please, I've looked around and narrowed my problem down to a couple of things.

First off my 2004 td5 has developed a wobble on the steering wheel (side to side) noticeable at very low speed, not noticeable when traveling at speed. Jacked up front wheels, driver side no noticeable movement when rocking the wheel, near side has a very slight movement when rocked at 12 and 6 o clock next to nothing at 3 and 9.

Do you think this is down to the wheel bearing or as I've just been reading about the 'swivel pin shims /bearings' which i know nothing about.

is there a way to check or do i need to strip it all down.

thans in advance.

From what you have diagnosed yourself from rocking the wheel at 12/6 and 3/9 oclock you could have slight play in the swivel pins (i have no idea if this would cause you steering issues but it something to eliminate) and yes you can tighten them by removing a shim, but before striping down the swivel pins to do this, just check the two bolts on the top of the swivel housing are torqued up (the ones by the mount bracket for the brake backing plate) and I think there are two bolts underneath the swivel housing in a corresponding place to the top ones.

I'm no where close to my 110 at the moment to look and check for you but maybe some one else could confirm this?