Best mirror supplier

I hate the term 'best' when asking for recommendations as people never seem to mean 'best', but 'cheapest'! I suppose 'best' is different depending on who you are and what you want - how anyone is expected to know what I mean by it today God knows! Perhaps I just mean 'better'? Anyway...

I had to fit my spare mirror head on Sunday after breaking the one on the car while off-roading. Nice to have a spare on board as driving without a NS mirror is often awkward! My mistake however was in buying a Britpart mirror head. It seems that BP have used glass taken from the circus 'hall of mirrors' and fitted it to a flexible plastic housing - the result being that the already distorted image jumps around in the breeze and makes me feel sorry I bothered looking.

I would like to buy a decent replacement mirror and return the BP one to spare, but I am finding the genuine LR price hard to swallow. So, what should I be looking for for an OEM, or at least good quality, replacement? Was the OE one Britax, or did I imagine that? Any suggestions where I could mail order one without fearing the arrival of a blue box? Are Bearmach, Allmakes etc. better quality or is it probable that they get their mirrors from the same supplier as BP?

So, 'better', better than Britpart, cheaper than genuine LandRover.

Cheers

Chris

Fantastic Chris... thanks for that.

Me: "I'm sure Mudstuff do mirrors, I'll check..."

Browse to Mudstuff website to check them out, and they indeed do larger mirror heads. However, if you already smash standards, you'll definitely break these bigger ones... Maybe not for you.

"Ooooh... While I'm here, I'll get some cargo nets for the 110, and some fixings.."

"LED outside lights.. I like those...."

:wacko:

I smashed my nearside mirror on a sticky out branch in a hedge on a narrow Cornish Road, and bought a Mudstuff twin view type mirror which lets you also see a wide angle view/blind spot, as well as the standard view.

Really good but they are a bit bigger than the standard size replacement.

Well Chris. Attempting not to jinx it but I'm genuinely surprised mine are still intact after the abuse they've taken. There's a particularly tight lane on the way to work where I can't be bothered to fold them in, the branches normally do that for me.

They're original as far as I know so perhaps it's a case of you get what you pay for?

They've almost broken a cyclists hand in London too. For some reason he took offence at me sitting on the right but indicating left in order to make a tight turn. Apparently sitting there for a minute indicating before a cyclist shows up doesn't give me right of way. Didn't like it when I decided to turn left anyway so punched the mirror, got a shock when it sprung back and hit him back.

Should have said it's a 95 300Tdi

Any use?

Very excitingly bought a pair of mirrors for it today.

Having spent far longer than is sane looking at wing mirrors, I discovered that the indestructible Spafax ones are made round the corner in Basingstoke, and even more surprisingly they will sell them out of the factory to Joe public. Splashed the extra fiver or so for heated ones.

Planning to bring the truck along to the ShireLRC social on Thursday.

• Like 1

Two possibilities.

I fitted a set of these roughly 6 years ago, mostly because I do a lot of driving on the wrong side of the road and having "lost" a truck and 70 foot trailer in the original NS mirror I thought every little might help. Had no problems with them at all

http://www.paddockspares.com/pm752-door-mounted-mirror-defender-large-type-web-exclusive-special-offer.html

Alternatively these have a certain bling about them.

https://www.thexmod.com/item_detail.asp?id=22474&t=Mirror_Side_LED_Work_Light_12V_/_24V_

Course you could always replace the glass component on your existing damaged mirror, supposing that is the broken element.

Thanks everyone for your help, advice and the benefit of your experience.

I broke both the glass and back of the original mirror so changing just the glass was not a suitable option. I am also looking for a standard, normal sized mirror rather than an extra vulnerable large one or an unbreakable one that looks like it belongs on an Invacar or something.

Anyway, I found these for sale on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172217190290 - at the time of writing there is one pair remaining but the guy also seems to sell them singly. They are slightly more expensive than Britpart but are OEM Britax. No connection with the seller other than as a customer awaiting delivery!

Thanks again!

Chris

I had a "LOL" moment reading this, on my rebuild I ordered an OEM mirror head to find the same slightly distorted hall of mirrors effect on the replacement. I've got used to it over the last year or so...it's on the "will get round to eventually list"

Not wishing to hi-jack but..... It's a mirror thread....

Does anyone have spare caps that fit on the bottom of the arm mounts??

I lost mine on some tracks full of gorse last year in Portugal and should probably replace them....

Hopeful......