Defender TD5 lumpy at 60mph

So after having my 2000 TD5 for a couple of months, I've noticed that at exactly 60mph, the engine becomes very lumpy and starts stuttering badly and the engine doesn't rev any higher.

It feels as if it is hitting the rev limited but way too soon.

My previous TD5 didn't suffer from anything like this.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers in advance

Toby

• Like 1

Is that 60 in 4th or 5th gear?? My 90TD5 goes up to 70 in 4th with no issues at all....

You may have a partly blocked fuel-filter that's causing fuel starvation; either the one under the rear wheelarch or the one on the end of the pickup-pipe in the fuel tank.

(this second filter can get crudded up if you have slightly leaky injector-seals: combustion gases and carbon blow back into the tank and form 'black slime' with any condensation in the bottom of the tank, which then goos up the pickup-pipe and the in-tank fuel pump then burns itself out trying to draw fuel through the sludge).

I'd change the wheelarch fuel-filter as a first step - and then if that doesnt fix it get an ECU fault-code reading done!

I'd have no chance of even touching 50mph in 4th gear before the stuttering starts. I'll change the filters and clean the lines out. I was unsure whether this was common or not.

I'll plug it in tomorrow and see if anything comes back <_<

Also worth checking for oil in the injector-loom: pull the big orange plug off the under-seat ECU and check that it's all nice and clean in there.

A 2000 TD5 could still have the original (leaky type) injector-harness fitted. Oil in the loom causes all sorts of odd syndromes (poor starting, misfires, cutting-out when idling).