TD5 v TDci

For long motorway journeys and if its still under warranty the TDCI is OK ish.

But out of warranty you need to look at the auction results.

The motor trade has no scruples.

The TDCI almost always fails to meet the CAP values whereas the TD5 usually exceed them.

Barry

Tdci. The gear set-up for those vehicles is much more friendly to motorway cruising, Td5 with the standard gearing can get noisy and feel a bit short on gears anything over 60 mph. imho.

Then put them offroad and they perform really well, especially the ones with ABS and traction control, we have 4 of them now in MR and we regularly do aggressive green lane type driving with a double axle trailer and they've never let us down.

But having said all that I just prefer the feel of Td5's personally, I don't particularly like driving fast, and I think the Td5 gear set-up is the best compromise considering everything. Tdci gearing is a bit too road bias for my liking.

• 4 weeks later...

Td5 tuned to up the power & overdrive is the way I would go if I was looking to buying one again.

As mentioned before the Td5 runs out of gears on the motorway, i found i was dicing with the lorries all the time, over take them on the straights, down hill, come a sight incline and tuck in behind them, only to overtake when possible, makes for tiresome driving. Tdci you can pick and choose when and where you overtake..

I have a 2.2tdci now and can fly past them all day, trouble is i find i now drive a lot faster overall. Now have to factor in speed cameras.

I liked the low down pull of the Td5 too, it really is horses for courses.. The six speed box is great 50mph in forth then another two gears to go.. Td5 would reach 50mph and take a while to creep up to 70ish..

Tdci is nicer inside too, heated seats, heated front screen, (best upgrade to a defender ever), better heater controls, electric windows, air con, all would / could be added to a TD5 if you wanted to..

I did a round trip of 14hrs the other month in my Tdci, don't think it would have been as easy in my old Td5... and I thought that was great...

Just my thoughts.. Good luck with your search and let us know which way you goo..?

db.

What's the general consensus on this ? For long distance motorway journeys and light off road duties which would you recommend and why?

A Discovery or a Range Rover. Even one with a Tdi or any newer variants. Both are dynamically superior to any Defender and will have much better NVH, refinement and interior space & comfort.

Td5 tuned to up the power & overdrive is the way I would go if I was looking to buying one again.

As mentioned before the Td5 runs out of gears on the motorway, i found i was dicing with the lorries all the time, over take them on the straights, down hill, come a sight incline and tuck in behind them, only to overtake when possible, makes for tiresome driving. Tdci you can pick and choose when and where you overtake..

I have a 2.2tdci now and can fly past them all day, trouble is i find i now drive a lot faster overall. Now have to factor in speed cameras.

I liked the low down pull of the Td5 too, it really is horses for courses.. The six speed box is great 50mph in forth then another two gears to go.. Td5 would reach 50mph and take a while to creep up to 70ish..

Tdci is nicer inside too, heated seats, heated front screen, (best upgrade to a defender ever), better heater controls, electric windows, air con, all would / could be added to a TD5 if you wanted to..

I did a round trip of 14hrs the other month in my Tdci, don't think it would have been as easy in my old Td5... and I thought that was great...

Just my thoughts.. Good luck with your search and let us know which way you goo..?

db.

Sounds like your Td5 maybe isn't running right. You should have no problem out pacing lorries. I've done motorway work in an old 2.5TD 90 and not had issue like that.

I'm certainly not denying a Puma is better suited for higher speed work and quitter though.

Although I would say I don't like the seats as much. My uncle has a 12 plate 2.2 and the seats are uncomfortable compared to older Defenders. My uncle also has a new 2.2 hard top with the optional seats in. They are very very comfy, but a pricey extra.