loud tapping 200tdi

ok so travelling home I didn't have enough fuel to make the journey so I added about 20 litres of cooking oil to the quarter of a tank of diesel that was in there already, all was fine for about 10-15 miles until it started to go down on power, sort of becoming jerky at speeds over 50mph (feels like taking your foot off the gas then back on then off then on etc.) anyway this continued until I couldn't get over about 50mph and later 45

the other thing that's started is a loud tapping coming from what sounds like the top of the engine, and increases with the revs, the weird thing is that if you knock the engine off and then back on its gone and comes back after about a minute of idling

the lift pump is working fine and the head gasket hasn't gone as far as I know, iv also checked the push rods are they are fine and also the caps on top of the valve stems

can anyone help?

the oil / diesel mix could be your problem. normal diesels will run at CN40 to CN50. i'm not sure what your mix would be. it sounds like its the fuel. i would drain the tank. put some diesel cleaner like Comma diesel magic in and 1/2 a tank of clean fuel. you fuel might just be too thick.

Clogged fuel filter. Veg Oil and Bio do a grand job of cleaning out your fuel tank and lines, which then all gets trapped in the filter - as it should. Change the filter and it should be fine. This time of year it won't be too high a concentration of oil (and I'm assuming we're talking 200 or 300 here?), the TDi's can run quite happily on 100% oil, I know, I have.

Won't account for the tapping though. I have the same on my 200. I don't worry about it,

• Like 1

yer its a 200, the tapping is just worrying me a bit with how harsh its sounding, its never sounded like it before and I try and keep everything clean and good on my engine (regular oil and water etc)

is there anything I can check to see if I can cure the noise? I just find it weird that it goes if you restart the engine and then returns after about a minute of idle or running

ah right I see, cheers guys, there was a lot of thicker stuff in the filter as well so Im thinking of adding a sedimenter before the lift pump, hopefully itll help somewhat with the filter life

Probabaly me getting confused, there is a thread about a snapped rocker bolt, I just cut and paste the thread title here.

I've seen rocker bolts snap after the customer reports loud tapping, it sometimes means timing belt has jumped and a big failure is imminent, so if a few things have all happened at same time it might be something to consider.

HTH

snapped rocker shaft bolt
Started by Yolandi, Yesterday, 08:42 PM