• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


geoffbeaumont last won the day on December 20 2016

geoffbeaumont had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

77 Excellent

About geoffbeaumont

  • Rank
    Back at the oars

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
  • ICQ

Profile Information

  • Location
    Wellington, Somerset

Previous Fields

  • Interests
    Avoiding computers (I work in IT). Caving, hillwalking (no bobble hat), youth work and fixing Land Rovers. No time for any of those those, though - too busy fixing the shed of a house we bought...

Recent Profile Visitors

957 profile views
  1. Oops - thought I'd changed all that but I clearly didn't go back and set the rest of the groups correctly You should now be able to upload up to 10MB per post (total of all images). If you upload large images they'll be automatically resized to a sensible maximum for web use.
  2. I followed a D5 for a while on the M5 yesterday - first time I'd seen the back end of one. On the plus side it doesn't look exactly the same as all the other models. On the minus side, that's only because it's incredibly ill proportioned and an incoherent mess - it has rather more of the look of a far eastern budget brand (although some of those have upped their game well beyond this level now) than a premium product. And I say that as someone who actually likes the current Land Rover "look" - just wishes they had more than one idea.
  3. GW8IZR - I'm not aware that any mods have been heavy handed in any way. The only member of the mod team who has posted (prior to me) is Happyoldgit, who has merely said that the mod team are aware of this thread.
  4. In other words, you're running a luxury brand. Arbiting what is "tasteful" to your target market is exactly what brand building is. I suppose one angle on this is a fear that lots of heavily modified LR vehicles with bolt on aftermarket tat will give them a dodgy image which will rub off on the standard vehicles and damage brand reputation.
  5. The buttons are easily addressed. Not so sure about the fuel... Sadly, I've been told I can have a Land Rover provided: a) I pay for it (fine) b) It's reliable (err) c) The house is finished () So I don't think I'll be nipping up the M5 to fetch it
  6. What about a Toyota V6 (5VZ-FE / 1GR-FE)? As used in the Land Cruiser J90/J120 (Prado). Don't know what low down torque is like, but those versions were designed for lugging vehicles of a similar mass and profile, and the peak power and torque is in the relatively sensible, not too likely to destroy the drivetrain, range. The older one at least didn't ought to be too bad on the electronics front. Not sure fuel economy would be significantly better than an RV8 though - they're fairly thirsty in the Prado.
  7. Off topic it may be - but we demand pictures!
  8. No experience of the rubber tiles, but I took FridgeFreezer's advice when I built mine and used the Ask Coatings Epoxy - I'm very pleased with it, and so far (a year in) seems to be very durable.
  9. PM sent, David.
  10. From a utility point of view, plastic panels (done right) could be pretty effective - particularly against the sort of minor knocks that account for a lot of the damage land rovers pick up when used in anger. However, from an environmental point of view, it's not so great...
  11. That looks like they only do coil suspension chassis to fit a 109? Not sure if you can legitimately declare that as an original spec replacement, even assuming you want to convert to coils?
  12. Nige's may well have started out as a flapper (I can't remember) - it's a custom built engine, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions about what will fit a standard engine from it.
  13. What Igol says - stoves are designed to radiate heat, opening the door at best makes them burn too fast and waste most of the heat up the flue. More likely it'll mess up the air flow through the stove and it won't actually burn as well as it does with the door closed (as well as still wasting most of the heat up the flue) - that's certainly the case with ours. One of the nice things with a decent stove is that it's controllable and you can get the most out of even relatively poor firewood - bits of pallet aren't anywhere near as good as decent hardwood, but I find they're perfectly okay. You have to stoke the fire a bit more often, but not so much it's a PITA. Not what I'd choose to burn, but if I happen to have some going free I use them!
  14. I may well put something under the track, but this is more just covering the whole area so scenery can be stuck down without wrecking the loft boards. I think I've got some wood flooring underlay which might work well. The spray adhesive seems to be successful - it's not a strong bond, but I think it's enough and it peels off leaving not too much mess on the boards. Not as well fixed as I'd hoped it would be with wallpaper paste, easier and far less messy to remove. I only had the end of a can - enough to try - so I'll pick some more up today.
  15. That's worth a shot - didn't think of that. I tried a corner before I left this morning - we'll see whether it holds!