Disco 1994 v8 and auto box to 1992 110

Hi , i am new to this forum and have a question about a v8 conversion. I understand the only major problem with the V8 auto into a 110 is the engine mounts need moving and i will need to work out which exhaust to use. I'm fine with the cooling systems and all the electronics. I've been busily stripping down the discover rear axle to be cleaned up and painted to fit this on to the defender so i could gain disk breaks on the rear. However i dont know much about the Salisbury axle and am looking for some advice. 

Q - Should i leave the salisbury axle in or replace it with the disco axle, it seems the Salisbury is stronger but will it take the v8 ? or should i put the rover axle in ?

Don't fit a Disco rear axle to a 110, it is not rated for the 110's Maximum laden weight & was never a factory fit, LR used the Salisbury as it was more than able to carry the weight, wether you load to max weight or not doesn't matter, drum braked Salisbury axle can easily be converted to rear disc using Disco or RRC brake parts.

The standard fit salisbury with drum brakes is perfectly adequate even when heavy towing , and were used on the factory V8 , fitting discs is very little improvement in any aspect for whats involved . JMHE

The exhaust will depend on the engine position and crossmember used.

I would echo the comments above about discs vs drums. I fitted rear discs to my 90, and the brakes are just as good as they were previously with drums, only really noticeably better when towing and braking on long descents etc. 

You could argue that discs are easier to maintain, and of course with later axles you can fit fancy wheels...

Only thing i would advise is that you use a defender ratio transfer box.... (unless you're on tiny tyres)... otherwise lock up up in top will continually be a struggle. .. and it'll use more fuel and create more heat.... changing from 1.2 to 1.4 ratio was thebest single thing i did ...

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the responses some really sound advice appreciated. So ill be staying with the Salisbury axle, the current transfer box in the 110 is not a happy puppy and needs a referb so i intend to drop the disco transfer box ( a 1.2)in when i replace the engine until I've refurbished the 1.4. I'm just starting to understand my wheel options but i wont ask as forums seem to get a bit tetchy on that subject :ph34r: but looks like ill need to find some boosts ? . (not asking honest ). 

On another question relating to this post , i have the disco front axle (1994) which i am currently assuming is a straight swap for the defender 110(1992), i think the diff is shot on the 110 so i will need to change or fix it. I was planning on rebuilding the disco one while i'm keeping the 110 on the road and replacing when i change the engine gearbox and transfer box. So the question is are my assumption correct the i can swap out the 110 front axle for the disco front and will the diff ratios be the same? 

The 110 front axle has stronger CV joints and bigger brakes than the Discovery front axle.  The diffs will be the same, though, so you'd be much better off just fitting the good Discovery diff to the correct 110 axle than mucking about with the Discovery axle.

As for wheels, just make sure they fit correctly on the hubs (the 200Tdi and earlier hubs like yours are deeper on Defenders than RRC or Discovery, or 300Tdi and later Defenders).  You must ensure that the back of the wheel sits fully against the nave (flange) of the hub - many wheels are held off a few mm by the bulges inside the wheel centre fouling the hub drive flange.  As for tyres, you could probably do with going a bit larger diameter if you go with the 1.4 transfer box, but not much.  The 1.2 transfer box is going to work against you, as it'll make the vehicle over geared with standard size tyres.  That will harm the torque converter and auto box in the long run, as well as your fuel economy and performance right from the start.