Series III "bobbing"...

jordan_meakin

I'm experiencing a bit of a weird problem with my 1983 series III county.  It appears to "bob" as you move off, feeling as if a brake is dragging. You feel it as the wheels turn sort of come and go clearly in relation to the point of the wheels going round. It doesn't appear to subside with speed but isn't so noticeable. It's hard to explain but perhaps somebody knows what I'm talking about? Just to clarify - the brakes are all free, including the handbrake... I've just replaced the rear diff. as the bearings were knackered and had thought that's where this was coming from. Diff now feels great but the "bobbing" is still there!

Any ideas???

3 hours ago, jordan_meakin said:

I'm experiencing a bit of a weird problem with my 1983 series III county.  It appears to "bob" as you move off, feeling as if a brake is dragging. You feel it as the wheels turn sort of come and go clearly in relation to the point of the wheels going round. It doesn't appear to subside with speed but isn't so noticeable. It's hard to explain but perhaps somebody knows what I'm talking about? Just to clarify - the brakes are all free, including the handbrake... I've just replaced the rear diff. as the bearings were knackered and had thought that's where this was coming from. Diff now feels great but the "bobbing" is still there!

Any ideas???

Am I understanding correctly?

The 'bobbing' existed, you knew the rear diff bearings were bad, so changed the diff, but the problem hasn't gone away.
The 'bobbing' is not just as you move off; that is when it is felt at it's strongest, but the sensation is also apparent when travelling 'at speed'.

Regards.

What sort of tyres are on it ? In the days of crossply SAT's they had a flat spot when cold and left standing for a few hours. It used to disappear after 5 - 10 miles , but as said earlier make sure it's not stuck in 4x4 Hi first

cheers

Steve b

1 hour ago, David Sparkes said:

Am I understanding correctly?

The 'bobbing' existed, you knew the rear diff bearings were bad, so changed the diff, but the problem hasn't gone away.
The 'bobbing' is not just as you move off; that is when it is felt at it's strongest, but the sensation is also apparent when travelling 'at speed'.

Regards.

Exactly. Replaced the UJ at the same time. It's not in 4x4, haven't put it in that for a while and it's running on the same tyres as it did before the problem existed. The problem appears to always be there it just feels most evident at low speeds... 

Thanks!

I'd check the handbrake linkage is fully free, and the engine/gearbox rubbers are all OK.

If the handbrake's not going fully 'off' then it binds, and it can take a bit of movement of the engine on its mounts to jiggle it free.

Anything that then causes the engine to move on its mountings can apply tension to the handbrake-linkage causing the handbrake to briefly grab - the effect of this will be felt throughout the car as well as it briefly slowing - but the slowing moves the engine so jiggles the handbrake linkage free...

Wash, Spin, Rinse, Repeat.

• 1 month later...