Raised Air Intake for 2.5 N/A

Cchase

Does anyone have any pictures of a raised air intake for a Defender 110 with a 2.5 N/A? 

I have not been able to find many, let alone a unit to purchase. I am thinking of buying one for a V8 and routing it through the driver's side cutout at the top of the fender. (my 110 is a LHD). Possibly one for a 2.5 TD would work with some metal fabrication and a second tube beneath the fender.

I would also be interested in any information on blocking out the air cleaner holder so that water cannot enter through the two holes in the bottom; possibly a rubber dam or welded patches?

Thanks,

Colin

AS DOug says, it's the bit under the wing that varies, and that doesn't come with the snorkel anyway.  A 2.5 nad or TD doesn't use a wing side intake, but that doesn't mean you can't use a side snorkel - you'd just need to cut the hole in the wing and get the two-piece trunking from a Defender, (200Tdi for left wing, 300Tdi and later for right wing) and some flexible hose (with internal reinforcing wire to prevent collapse) to join the trunking to the filter intake.

The early Camel trophy 110's and 90's pre 200tdi had the snorkels come up out the wing on some and the bonnet on others.

I decided to go through the bonnet on mine saves a lot of hassle with joining flanges etc, quite easy to do really. - the trick part was finding the right air hose long enough to extend through the pipe. (but I went for factory LR parts).

Although a 200tdi - this is the up through the bonnet option.

CamelTrophy25.jpg

This one is through the wing "aft" of the wing top vent position (Below)...

yQ_640.jpg

Not the best picture, but this is the "fwd" of the wing top vent position (Below)...

gea921181_lrg2.jpg

• Like 1

You should be able to hook up to air filter relatively easily...

either with these ESR184 or this stuff http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111009709820?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=410159387923&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Don't get tricked into getting "induction" air intake flexi piping, its very fragile and wont hack it under the bonnet of a defender.

If its any help,,,,,Part 21 is what I used to get the plastic pipe into the engine compartment then flexi hose to the air filter canister, I blocked up the canister drain as well.  Plate where part 21 enters through wing is to cover where a clansman fitted (moved to other wing)

1.jpg

raised air intake.jpg

• Like 1