Oil pressure switch

I have tested for continuity on various parts of the switch, no reaction from the meter. My meter should sound a tone but it doesn't, likewise on the old switch which I still have.

I'll try another switch.

Thanks again for all the help.

Latest installment...I have cleaned everything and meter now shows continuity from brass hex to oil filter housing, no continuity from spade to hex or housing. If I connect the wires then there is positive continuity from spade to everywhere. still nothing on the dash. 

I think it must be something I'm overlooking. Could it be to do with ignition to dash wiring?????

I found the old box the switch came in, it's a Karsons and PRC 6387. I don't think it's faulty.

Oh well!

wire from press switch goes direct to the dash light [at least that's what the wiring diagram shows]  

would be worth tracing the wire all the way back to multiplug at engine loom to dash loom junction, just to ensure it [white/brown] wire is connected to it's matching wire on dash loom. also have a look at the plastic/brass printed circuit http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/233416/3870/printed_circuit  behind instrument pack, the printed track for oil light might be broken

51 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

So... do you have continuity between spade and switch body?

Only if the wire is connected, otherwise no.

I have traced the wire along the whole length, all the way to the bulb. The wire is white with brown trace from the bulb to multiplug. From the multiplug in the engine bay, to switch it is white with brown dabs.

It could be the printed circuit but then, the light does come on if the switch wire is earthed to something else so......

So if you connect one wire of your test meter to the filter housing and the other to the male spade connector that is sticking out of the switch, with the engine stopped - if you do not get a continuity tone from your meter then that switch is faulty.

If you switch the ignition on and then touch the female spade connector end of the wire to a metal part of the engine and your oil light comes on then that confirms that there is nothing wrong with the wiring loom or dash lights.

50 minutes ago, Stambecco said:

Only if the wire is connected, otherwise no.

I have traced the wire along the whole length, all the way to the bulb. The wire is white with brown trace from the bulb to multiplug. From the multiplug in the engine bay, to switch it is white with brown dabs.

It could be the printed circuit but then, the light does come on if the switch wire is earthed to something else so......

Can only be a duff switch then, as there is no other wiring that makes it illuminate the dash light, & the existing wiring does what it should when earthed to the engine block. 

• 3 weeks later...