Building the SimonR x-eng plasma cutting CNC table

Ruuman

I started to think about the reprap extrusion deposition Additive Manufacturing machine when I saw this thread. There are a few on their forums who are looking at it and sharing the build files.

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?131,204981

I'd be interested in this as the more recent repraps use stand alone electronics based on Arduino boards and there's been a lot of effort getting things like bed level correction, and stepper control sorted. All that said the standard printers don't have much that could create significantly more electrical noise that the steppers, so their standard shielding would probably need work.

I looked at an Arduino (ish) based controller before deciding on Mach3+PC.  There are a couple of decent CNC controllers out there but none of them seemed as robust a solution long term.  I've been building a 3D Printer:

It's fully operational now - apart from waiting for some more bits to arrive.  One they do, I'll write it up as Open Source on Instructables as well.  The purpose of the build was wanting to make a much more rigid printer to avoid motion artifacts in the prints.  It's made from Laser Cut 3mm Steel - and is rigid as a very rigid thing!

Si

Nice 3d printer Si, looks a bit like a kossel http://reprap.org/wiki/Kossel

Almost got one before Christmas... yours looks way better.

Uccnc has a nice plugin (autoleveler) which has some interesting possibilities for a few different applications or CNC type operations.  I was trying to find the YouTube clip of machining letters on a sphere following probing, which may offer the ability to 3d print on a non trammed bed.

Nice job on the Fused Filament Fabrication machine! I'd bought and built a Ormerod 2 at work to prove a few points and spark up a bit of interest. As you've addressed with your machine I've been concerned about the rigidity of the machine, and had thought may times about upgrading. Thinking about it sparking up interest in improving the machine could be a way of keeping myself sane at work! Working with others is all well and good but when you don't have your own little project to work and be able to clearly identify your work it can get mighty dull!

Is there any need for level compensation on the plasma cutting or is the process not as sensitive for tool height? Done a little welding, but not touched a plasma cutter yet!

The plasma does in effect have level compensation.  On the design above, it drives the torch down until it touches the surface.  Touching closes a set of contacts and the controller sets that as Z=0.  I have mine set to do this at the start of every cut or every 250mm.

The level is not as critical - but you get a better quality cut if it's right.

You can get automatic Torch Height Control (THC) which is the best option of all.

Si

Lots of interesting things added to the post, unfortunately my progresses isn't great, I have basically dragged the plasma out of the truck, finally bolted the wheels on and connected everything up. Quality looks good and everything is nice and solid. Switches and dials clunk and click like you would think they should and the power control has a nice bit of resistance to it. Both cables were good and the -3 temps didn't effect the flex.

It came with a handful of torch spares, some sort of pokey tool, the plug for the CNC socket, CNC diagram and manual.

2017-01-21 11.35.01.jpg

Couple of pics inside, it all looks pretty good to me

2017-01-21 10.54.31.jpg

2017-01-21 10.54.28.jpg

2017-01-21 10.54.24.jpg

Front

2017-01-21 11.35.10.jpg

Back

2017-01-21 11.35.23.jpg

Torch (seems nice)

2017-01-21 10.54.36.jpg

Circuit diagram for the CNC control

2017-01-21 11.35.41.jpg

Now the big problem occurred, I charged down to screwfix to grab some 32amp commando plugs knowing I wouldn't have time to wire up a new circuit I thought screw it I can give it a go in the 16amp, the 32amp plug looks the same, with hindsight this was obviously not going to be the case! but I was in a hurry!

2017-01-22 10.18.49.jpg

So for future reference to any other idiots out there, 32amp on the left, 16amp on the right, quite a size difference!

So long story short, no progress has been made :(