Long term Euro Breakdown cover

simonr

I'm working in Germany until July - and am taking my LR with me.  I need breakdown cover for six months - but the longest cover I can find is 90 Days.

I know you are all going to shout ADAC - but they have refused!  The guy on the phone said they had too many UK policyholders and too many claims and were trying to limit them!  Even though I have an address in Germany, they will not give me a policy unless I have a German bank account.  I can't get that without German Nationality.  He suggested I apply by post - which I did in December but this has been declined too.  ADAC at the moment are a non starter.

Talking to co-workers (mostly from Eastern Europe, they are surprised I have this problem - it seems to be UK specific.

Are there any other options? 

Si

Thanks John.  I'd ruled out ACO as their terms are that they will only recover you to the nearest garage (any garage, not even one specific to the type of car).  If the garage cannot fix the problem - too bad.

After an afternoon of fruitless calls - I phoned NFU (whom I am insured with).  They said they could provide cover but would have to refer it to their underwriters.  Came back with a quote of £114 for six months in Europe.  Short of other options I accepted this.  Long stay travel insurance cost me £180.  The LR is more likely to break down than me - so maybe £114 is good value!

Si

• Like 1

Perhaps a bit late now but when we've done short trips to the continent the RAC have been very good. Over if the guys had been an AA Gold Member for 30+ years and they were next to useless. The RAC offer a setup where they will recover your vehicle to the UK irrespective of market value (their cheaper packages would only cover costs to the market value) for not a huge amount. We were looking for a single trip but I seem to remember that for a year the price was comparable to what you've been offered. Although it may have had a limit on the number of trips and/or duration.

Just got a quote for the 110 and their unlimited cover was £268. Catch is that a single trip is no more than 90 days but you can have unlimited trips per year. Each breakdown covers up to £1000 labour and £3000 towards continuing your journey. Their other levels came in at £187 and £215.

Bonjour,

1 - Yes, there is a growing problem with people abusing recovery policies throughout Europe and it is getting more and more difficult. Too many see it as a cheap way to get their wreck home while enjoying an hotel. 

2 - Why can't you have a German Bank account if you officially live in Germany for 6 months or more ?

3 - Most European Companies will cover for only transport to the nearest workshop or the likes..

Good Luck !

and people wonder why less and less companies are offering this service..

If their insurance doesn't cover, we recover our clients ourselves if need be. Work out the costs and get it sorted.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...