series 5 speed conversion

smokeyone

Hello

I have mated a series transfer case to the r380 gearbox with an ashcroft kit and tdi engine.
It's in the chassis using the original transfer case mounting brackets and new engine mounts
with the r380 gearbox hanging inbetween.

My thought is should I have welded a defender gearbox crossmember in instead to support the gearbox rather than use the transfer case mounts.

Thanks

Thanks very much for the confirmation - I was just a bit concerned that the whole weight of the transfer case/gearbox was supported by just the transfer case original mounts plus (maybe over cautious) the ashcroft adapter plate is only held by six bolts each side - it just seemed as though there would be less stress if the gearbox was supported - other posts/other forums infer about using a welded in defender crossmember for support instead -

Cheers

The DVLA regs are quite specific about modifying chassis.  You can add or remove brackets, but you can't remove or alter main structures like the rails or cross members without losing the VIN and having the vehicle inspected and issued with a new identity.  If, however, you had intended to leave that cross member in place and add extra support for the gear box, that would be legally fine, but mechanically unnecessary.  What you have done is the best solution.