110 CSW tilt front seats

Evening all,

I've scoured(?) the forum but couldn't find a thread I was looking for.  My 110 CSW, being a LHS, has the batteries beneath the driver's seat, which is a right PITA when I want to access them.  Has anyone converted Defender front seats to tip forward or tip backward, please?  Any views, advice, experience or photos would be very much appreciated.  As I'm currently in the early stages of a complete tear down and rebuild now is probably the time to start planning that sort of mod.

Mike

Snagger,

No.  I'm to blame for replacing the original seats with after-market ones.:wub:.  I've got seats that do not have removeable bases.  Whilst I very much enjoy the increased comfort of my aftermarket seats, still Rover, I believe, they are presenting problems.  I acknowledge that most forum members are UK based, but a significant number of us are in LHS environments.   I'm sure that I am not alone with this self-induced problem, so I want to explore the options for easing battery access.  How have other forum members addressed this issue?  

Mike

Well, the best thing would be to refit Defender seats - I found them very comfortable when in good condition, with plenty of lumbar support (less so the newer TDCI type, which I found vastly inferior).  If you just need to be able to isolate or connect jump leads, I'd fit isolator switches through the seat base and add an Anderson socket.  If you need frequent direct access to the batteries, then some sort of quick release fitting to the seats may work, as long as the seat belts are not attached to the seat itself (like on RRC, Discovery and Defender TDCI).

If you're happy with the seats - why the frequent access need for the battery ?

Insulator switch & andersons connector make that we see rarely the need to remove the Disci 1 seats.

IF we do need to remove the seat, I take out 4 bolts (spanner 13) and 3 minutes later it is out.

Hi, all,

Thanks for your comments.  It's not that I need frequent access to the battery box, and I already have a battery isolator and Anderson connectors.  I recently borrowed my son-in-law's GMC van and he needed to refit the rear seat for me, and I was amazed how easily it clipped and locked into place - literally a five second job.  I just thought that if somebody had already designed and fitted a tip-up conversion now would be a good time to consider it.  It's certainly not a priority mod, so thanks again for your comments, and I'll let this one die.

Mike

There is no reason why you can't fit locating dowels in place of the mounting bolts and fit catches that hold the seat frame down on those dowels, be they mortice latches or just sliding dead bolts.  They just need to be strong enough and securely fitted.  Seems un-necessary if you have Defender seats, though.