Decent massonary drill bit

I use my battery SDS on a daily basis and am more than happy with it, anything up to about 14mm its fine, anything over then i'll change to mains.

I also find the cheaper SDS drill bits preferable over really expensive ones, the tips seem to last a bit longer if you don't snap the bit through misuse.

15 minutes ago, zardos said:

That sounds good and a good price too, as regards drill size for what I want to use it for now securing the flue in the garage I said 8-10mm but can be 10-12mm it this drill will take 10-12mm bits

Got given the day off today ( holiday ) so I used the time to tidy the garage up after fitting the stove and shortened and re-fitted shelving but whilst fitting the shortened shelving I realised I need to fit more shelving on the other walls to compensate for where the stove is so think an SDS drill is the way to go so will deffo be getting one ASAP :D

44 minutes ago, UdderlyOffroad said:

If you have a Toolstation near you, they sell Milwaukee branded SDS bits.  They’ve held up ok for the work I’ve been doing on my house.  And yes they do 6 and 8mm sizes , the most commonly used sizes for rawl plugs

I don't have a tool station but do have a screw fix and a Machine Mart not to far away from me.

Have been poking at the Machine Mart ( Clarke ) 1200RD SDS drill £79 what do you think

You can get the basic model from Screwfix for £42.  Frankly If you’ve got £79, another tenner will get you a Bosch model…This is the one I've bought to replace my cheapie which worked for 10yrs.  It's really good and chews through concrete.  I'd still probably use the metal-gearbox cheapie for demo work though.

3 minutes ago, UdderlyOffroad said:

You can get the basic model from Screwfix for £42.  Frankly If you’ve got £79, another tenner will get you a Bosch model…This is the one I've bought to replace my cheapie which worked for 10yrs.  It's really good and chews through concrete.  I'd still probably use the metal-gearbox cheapie for demo work though.

Agree with this. For light work, I would think think the basic model as above is more than enough. Mine is the Lidl equivalent (not the more expensive Lidl offering above) and it has been very good.

On 11/01/2017 at 8:21 AM, daveturnbull said:

Mains power always trumps girly little batteries.

And is cheaper for low use sds, else you'll be paying out for the body then £60 for a battery and £40-50 for a charger etc. £40 will get you a cheapo sds when they are in the discounters i.e aldi, lidl, etc.

8 hours ago, daveturnbull said:

Or get a reasonable quality 2nd hand one for less. For example, This one which I think might be close to you, based on where you have told the forum you are.

Looks like it's gone as it says pic not available but when I next get paid I will have a look in screwfix and see what they have got

Rattler, an sds drill will do more than drill ? I bought a shiny new Bosch sds drill from screwfix on special for about £100.

Once I'd finished sitting in the armchair, stroking and cuddling my new shiny, I used it with the appropriate chisel bit to strip the tiles off the fully tiled bathroom and then strip the plaster off said walls too. 

They're more than just for Christmas. 

Mo

20 hours ago, daveturnbull said:

Or get a reasonable quality 2nd hand one for less. For example, This one which I think might be close to you, based on where you have told the forum you are.

Please be very cautious buying 2nd hand tools, there is currently an epidemic of tradesman's vans being broken into with a vast amount of tools being stolen and sold on, if we can reduce the demand for 2nd hand tools hopefully we can reduce the problem. Always check for initials engraved in them and ask where they came from.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, landrover598 said:

Please be very cautious buying 2nd hand tools, there is currently an epidemic of tradesman's vans being broken into with a vast amount of tools being stolen and sold on, if we can reduce the demand for 2nd hand tools hopefully we can reduce the problem. Always check for initials engraved in them and ask where they came from.

Yeah I have decided on buying new now and quite fancy the Titan 1500w SDS drill but it will have to wait till I next get paid now :mellow:

Yep I have got loads of work for this SDS drill when I get it, had the stove running today with decent heat and touching everything on shelves that I have already shortened was getting too warm so I will be moving a lot of stuff round in the garage in the next month fitting and moving shelving round and whilst doing that I will make a small are to store a small amount of logs in and have something outside aswell to store some in aswell

I've started moving stuff around in the garage, basicly moved my plastic oil drums, oil jugs and stuff away from the corner near the side door and put the compressor there instead then when I get the SDS drill I can start putting shelves up for the oils and jugs and stuff over the compressor and then when I buy a builders bag of hardwood ( seasoned ) and store some in the garage where the compressor used to be but have the logs on small pallets ( from work ) with sides at either end to stop them from falling and the rest would be stored in storage boxes in the garden 

Edited by Cornish Rattler

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/01/2017 at 9:19 AM, Mo Murphy said:

Rattler, an sds drill will do more than drill ? I bought a shiny new Bosch sds drill from screwfix on special for about £100.

Once I'd finished sitting in the armchair, stroking and cuddling my new shiny, I used it with the appropriate chisel bit to strip the tiles off the fully tiled bathroom and then strip the plaster off said walls too. 

They're more than just for Christmas. 

Mo

I know what you mean as soon as it arrived I put it two work drilling holes to move the shelving from around the newly fitted log stove and fitting them else where in the garage and it only took a split second to drill through the wall I was moving the shelfs, really impressed