Decent massonary drill bit

Hi guys

Just fitted a log burning stove in my garage and after struggling to drill through the concrete wall of my garage ( concrete sectional panel ) construction to make a hole for the flue I need to drill an 8-10MM hole in the same panel to secure the flue to the wall for added support.

Can someone advise me please of what type of drill I would need obviously it would need to be a massonary drill but there is a lot of stone in the concrete that my drills won't touch 

3 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Hammer setting is far more important than drill selection on concrete. Has yours got it?

Yes we saw sparks in the hole with drill operating thought it was steel but wasn't it was stone mixed with the concrete and blunt all the massonary drill bits we had

like reb says sds all the way, it's night and day rather then faffing about with drill drivers with a hammer function.

The sparks could be flint or more unlucky if you've found a bit of rebar. rebar does a good job of bending sds drills.

Right. Firstly the drill............and by that I mean the machine. Ordinary drills, either mains or cordless are percussion drills. They are NOT the same as hammer drills proper, or Rotary Hammers, as they are properly known They may well have a "hammer" setting, but they will only drill into relatively soft materials, such as brick, mortar, weak or soft concrete (not fully set) sandstone etc. They will struggle with hard materials such as hard concrete and stone materials, hard engineering bricks etc. You can tell by the fact that they have a regular chuck.

For concrete and hard materials, you need a rotary hammer, which will always use SDS bits, and if you have a decent bit, it will sail through hard concrete (not the reinforcement steel though) I use Dewalt Extreme bits, which are good quality at a reasonable price.You will be amazed at the difference.

We tried going through different places within the marked out hole, tried going through first with a massonery drill then a steel drill then a massonary drill again but both the steel drill and massonary drill went blunt there was only one place that the drill went through with no problem but else where they just wouldn't go.

what do you think about a diamond tipped drill bit 

Edited by Cornish Rattler

In case it wasn’t clear….get an SDS drill.  Borrow, rent, buy, whatever, but don’t waste your time with a ‘hammer drill’.

I bought the £40 Argos cheapie and it lasted me for over 10yrs before some oaf labourer used it & got a bit stuck in the SDS chuck.  It’s still on the healing bench, patiently waiting it its turn to be fixed.

Keep in mind you can also use them in ‘rotary stop’ mode with chisels, breakers etc.  So ideal for lighter demo work and pulling tiles off the wall.

Incidentally, the SDS drills I’ve found are ‘kinder’ on the drill bits too, in that because they ‘hammer properly’, the cuttings clear away, so you don’t need diamond-coated, forged-from-unobtanium drill bits

• Like 1

5 hours ago, reb78 said:

Can you confirm what machine you are using? If you are using a simple hammer drill, as above, you will struggle regardless of the bit. 

It is my mates, it's a Bosch one with hammer but as everyone has said I need a better drill and bits so will look out for a cheap SDS drill and get the right bits

I have used Hilti drills many times with varying success, and my Black and Decker domestic drill with results that varied most with the drill bit.  It's a standard DIY drill with conventional chuck and hammer action, but it was fine for drilling the very hard reinforced concrete walls we have in the UAE once I got decent masonry bits for it (Bosch) - it did very little with the older bits and even bent a few through 45 degrees.  It went from taking over 10 minutes per hole to under 30 seconds, just because of the bits.

If you think you may have rebar in the wall, do yourself a favour and get a pipe and wire detector - drilling through rebar is tough regardless of drill type.

Only thing I will say about SDS, the drills are mighty heavy.... and if you are working above head height (I was boarding out a precast concrete roofed building) then they are just too much to hold up there, and a hammer drill will be a lot kinder to you.

Also watch the kickback if the bit snags!

9 hours ago, Superpants said:

As everyone else says SDS is the way to go- you can easily get one from the local tool hire place if you don't want to buy one, but you'd find even a cheap one a sound investment.

Mmmm, I did clock a nice pillar drill in the window whilst we was waiting to go in that would need bolting to the floor and I keep saying I will bolt the bench to the floor so yes it mite be worth buying one 

I've got a makita sds  electric drill. My old man has had the same one for 10 year and it's done some work. Model number is HR2610

i would not get a battery sds drill if you don't plan to use it all the time or don't have all the tools with batteries already. 

Edited by jason110