V8 recommendations for RRC

SteveG

So, I have a GEMS 4.6 & auto including all the ancillaries. I also have a 1991 3.9 V8, again with all ancillaries along with auto and BW tbox. In a few months time, I'll have a couple of spaces to fill in my range rover classic 2 door.

What's the best engine and gearbox combo to use??

4.6 complete, all ancillaries and ZF HP24 box with compushift

4.6 complete, all ancillaries and range rover classic auto and tbox  

4.6 block with range rover classic head and ancillaries plus RRC auto and tbox

etc. etc.

cheers

steve

My personal choice would be the 4.6, all ancillaries (no messing with front covers/crank spacers, better oil pump and serp belt) backed up with the RRC auto box, which means no messing with compushift.

Run the engine with Megasquirt, and the gearbox will take care of itself being a non electronic box.

Simple, diagnosable system, with most advanced version of the RV8 (if you can call it that).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Ls3 ? ?

Mo

I'm struggling with budget as it is Mo, so don't go blowing it! ;)

6 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

My personal choice would be the 4.6, all ancillaries (no messing with front covers/crank spacers, better oil pump and serp belt) backed up with the RRC auto box, which means no messing with compushift.

Run the engine with Megasquirt, and the gearbox will take care of itself being a non electronic box.

Simple, diagnosable system, with most advanced version of the RV8 (if you can call it that).

Thanks for the recommendation Bowie.

For air con, is it better to use range rover classic compressor rather than p38, so that standard pipes can be used for plumbing?

Also, what's the benefit of Megasquirt over re-configuring the GEMS ECU?

4 hours ago, honitonhobbit said:

I'd agree with Bowie. Relatively simples, relatively reliable, quite fun

Just what I'm looking for.

You'll be likely better to use the P38 system, if it fits in the RRC bay, and get the pipes modified to suit. The RRC setup uses a V-belt, something that was being moved away from by going to serp :)

For MS, should be more reliable, you'll know how to diagnose much more easily than anything you do with GEMS, and you can get a closer tune more suited for the weight of an RRC compared to a P38, maybe release some ponies as well as improve mpg... To me it is a no brainier... But then I have done it a few times now.